Please post your favorite high protein meals!

happyteacher
on 8/10/16 1:04 pm

Ya know I have been at this for almost 5 years now and it never occurred to me to mix powders and the let them just chill in the fridge to eliminate froth, bubbles and such. Geez. Totally dong this when school resumes.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

NYMom222
on 8/14/16 2:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I love Premier, but if you use them I wouldn't count them as 30g protein....maybe 20. When I have used them heavily I have had deficient protein in my bloodwork....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Chilipepper
on 8/9/16 5:57 pm
On August 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:
On August 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

The New Whey protein shots are mostly collagen protein. Think horse and cow hooves. It's a really bad nutritional source. The bioavailability is really low, and it's an incomplete protein. You won't be absorbing much of this. I wouldn't be counting on New Whey shots toward my minimum protein requirements.

My doctor, and most reviewers on all sites disagree with you. So what is your degree in, and please site a study that says it basically is junk, so I can ask my doctor without saying, someone on a message board says you are wrong

http://www.dietspotlight.com/new-whey-liquid-protein-review/

Paul you are new to this lifestyle. I appreciate your enthusiasm but find it necessary to point out the information given to you is incorrect. I would advise you to share with your surgeon The ASMBS guidelines on proteins and supplements postop. 

I encourage you to print this and share with your surgeon.  Please remember that though one might have the ability to cut doesn't necessarily mean they are current on ASMBS guidelines 

http://www.soard.org/#/article/S1550-7289(08)00163-9/fulltex t

please refer to table 7

Caution should be used when recommending any type of collagen-based protein supplement. Although some commercial collagen products can be combined with casein or other complete proteins, the resulting combination might still provide insufficient amounts of several IAAs. These types of products are typically not considered "complete." However, because collagen contains a high level of nitrogen within a small volume, it might be useful for the patient who is able to consume enough good-quality dietary protein to supply the needed IAAs, yet not be consuming enough total nitrogen to meet the nonspecific nitrogen requirement and achieve balance [171]. In this case, the patient would also have to be consuming enough calories to spare the IAAs for protein synthesis. It is very important for the practitioner to review the amino acid composition of the patient's selected commercial protein products to ensure they include adequate amounts of all the IAAs. The loss of lean body mass can occur despite meeting a daily oral intake protein goal, in the presence of IAA deficiency.

The highest quality protein products are made of whey protein, which provides high levels of branched-chain amino acids (important to prevent lean tissue breakdown), remain soluble in the stomach, and are rapidly digested. Whey concentrates can contain varying amounts of lactose, while whey protein isolates are lactose free. This can be a consideration for those individuals with a severe intolerance. Meal replacement supplements and protein bars typically contain a blend of whey, casein, and soy proteins (to improve texture and palatability), varying amounts of carbohydrate and fiber, as well as greater levels of vitamins and minerals than simple protein supplements. Many commercial protein drinks and bars are designed to supplement a mixed diet, including animal and plant sources of protein. They are not intended to provide the sole source of protein and calories for long periods of time.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

ladygodiva1228
on 8/10/16 4:28 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On August 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:
On August 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

The New Whey protein shots are mostly collagen protein. Think horse and cow hooves. It's a really bad nutritional source. The bioavailability is really low, and it's an incomplete protein. You won't be absorbing much of this. I wouldn't be counting on New Whey shots toward my minimum protein requirements.

My doctor, and most reviewers on all sites disagree with you. So what is your degree in, and please site a study that says it basically is junk, so I can ask my doctor without saying, someone on a message board says you are wrong

http://www.dietspotlight.com/new-whey-liquid-protein-review/

Just because your doctor is a good cutter doesn't mean he gives good nutritional advice.

"What protein supplements should be avoided?

Collagen-based protein supplements are not a good source of high-quality protein and should not be used as the sole source of protein intake in WLS patients. Collagen-based protein supplements do not contain all of the indispensable amino acids that the body needs. When consuming collagen-based products as your sole source of protein, the loss of lean body mass can occur despite meeting your daily protein goals."

good and bad proteins

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

happyteacher
on 8/10/16 1:02 pm

My doc and nutritionist coincide with what Grim wrote. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted those to be a good resource for us. I don't like eating meat and would have much preferred downing little shots than bigger protein drinks!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/9/16 8:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 8, 2016 at 9:12 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:
On August 8, 2016 at 12:10 AM Pacific Time, mndvrmtt wrote:

I'm having trouble hitting 60g. Please include the serving size and grams of protein. Also, I don't eat fish or cottage cheese. Thanks in advance!  

New Whey Protein shots 3.5 oz, packed with 42 carbs, easy to get over half in 1 gulp. Google it, you can get a case of 12 for 22.49, I believe Vitaminshoppe

During the weight-loss phase, many patients are recommended to stay below 25g carbs per day. Those who are less strict might up their limit to 40g. One of these is "packed" with more carbs than a patient needs.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/16 10:29 am
VSG on 07/11/16
On August 10, 2016 at 3:06 AM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Hag of Science wrote:

I'm having trouble hitting 60g. Please include the serving size and grams of protein. Also, I don't eat fish or cottage cheese. Thanks in advance!  

New Whey Protein shots 3.5 oz, packed with 42 carbs, easy to get over half in 1 gulp. Google it, you can get a case of 12 for 22.49, I believe Vitaminshoppe

During the weight-loss phase, many patients are recommended to stay below 25g carbs per day. Those who are less strict might up their limit to 40g. One of these is "packed" with more carbs than a patient needs.

2 grams of carbs, another poster talking outside of their knowledge, sorry, but to all, I never said it should be your main or only source of protein, nor is the product only collagen. It contains a mix of 3 proteins as stated. For all those who think my doctor doesn't know anything outside of the operating room, well he has successfully developed a line of bariatric foods and vitamins, along with his team of nutricanist, New Life, that has won major awards. Feel free to look it, I suggest anyone getting advice from a forum do just that. I provided several links, I did this so others can research for themselves. It seems there are a "few god types" here who assume to know all, but offer no backup information. I applaud anyone who has successfully lost and maintained, but I don't consider them a god, or an expert, without proper training, and no back up of information. So much of what has been said, has just been out right wrong

• new whey used to be all collegen.then they changed ( after I debunked that claim)
  • It isn't a complete protein
  • That shots are loaded with carbs
  • Doctors are not a good source of information for their patients needs while under their care, listen to the Vets blindly.

It isn't worth discussing anymore. Thank you to the one who actually posted a link! It was informative, and helpful, to the rest who are merely catty, and the usual forum basher types, try to be helpful and provide back up information. Back to the link, it says collegen isn't a good only source of protein for us, I am not, nor have not advised anyone should. Food is always the best source. I suggested this as a protein help, to bolster protein comsumption. It contains 3 type of protein. 

No I don't only use them, in fact I hardly ever do, if I am running 10 or so short, it is an easy boost, that is all I am saying. I hope everyone is safe and happy.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/10/16 10:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 10, 2016 at 5:29 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:
On August 10, 2016 at 3:06 AM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Hag of Science wrote:

2 grams of carbs, another poster talking outside of their knowledge, sorry, but to all, I never said it should be your main or only source of protein, nor is the product only collagen. It contains a mix of 3 proteins as stated. For all those who think my doctor doesn't know anything outside of the operating room, well he has successfully developed a line of bariatric foods and vitamins, along with his team of nutricanist, New Life, that has won major awards. Feel free to look it, I suggest anyone getting advice from a forum do just that. I provided several links, I did this so others can research for themselves. It seems there are a "few god types" here who assume to know all, but offer no backup information. I applaud anyone who has successfully lost and maintained, but I don't consider them a god, or an expert, without proper training, and no back up of information. So much of what has been said, has just been out right wrong

• new whey used to be all collegen.then they changed ( after I debunked that claim)
  • Doctors are not a good source of information for their patients needs while under their care, listen to the Vets blindly.

It isn't worth discussing anymore. Thank you to the one who actually posted a link! It was informative, and helpful, to the rest who are merely catty, and the usual forum basher types, try to be helpful and provide back up information. Back to the link, it says collegen isn't a good only source of protein for us, I am not, nor have not advised anyone should. Food is always the best source. I suggested this as a protein help, to bolster protein comsumption. It contains 3 type of protein. 

No I don't only use them, in fact I hardly ever do, if I am running 10 or so short, it is an easy boost, that is all I am saying. I hope everyone is safe and happy.

Thanks for following up! Glad to know that you typo'ed on the carb numbers, that does make a bit more sense.

Not sure "many patients are recommended" speaks to any personal medical knowledge-- just passing on what others are told. 

Glad to hear that YOU'RE a god who knows more than we do :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Chilipepper
on 8/10/16 11:37 am
On August 10, 2016 at 5:29 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:

I provided you with a link direct from the ASMBS. In case you didn't feel like or aren't able to do your own research. I provided you with the complete verbiage,  word for word. 

You are just one in a long list of people who choose not to listen or take advice from veterans who have lived this lifestyle for years and have done the research. You certainly won't be the last. 

I wish you luck in your journey and though I don't agree with you, I fully respect those who choose to take the hard road. The road of Flinstones, collagen protein and malnutrition.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/8/16 5:53 pm

I also am on Team Carnivore. I basically eat meat and some dairy. I eat a few non-starchy vegetables if I have room.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
Recent Topics