Please post your favorite high protein meals!

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/16 12:53 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

Your math is faulty, it is not 100% collagen protein, it is also whey, and cassin. Cassin is a slower absorbing so having it along with the other two actually helps in absorption. It is Complete amino acids also. Not sure what your issue is with it, but you are in the minority of every study I can find of it, and my doctor, and several others.Anyway it works for me, and thousands of other patients my doctor has advised about it over the years.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/16 2:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

A few months ago, it was 100% collagen, and almost universally panned because of it. In response, they added some whey and casein. How much, only they know. The label isn't required to break it down, because supplements are unregulated. The only thing they are required to do is list ingredients in order of the quantity. Collagen is listed first, so it is still mostly collagen. Why? Because collagen is cheap, and they make more money by putting in cheap ingredients.

How do you KNOW if it works for you? You're barely out of surgery. You could get zero protein and you'd have no idea by how you felt. But you'd be losing more muscle mass than people who used a high quality protein -- whey protein isolate.

Why do I care? I don't care if you use this, frankly. Not anymore, at least. But I care about the people that might read your recommendation and think this stuff is a good idea. It is not.

Look, we all went through phases in our morbidly obese lives where we hoped for some magic solution. Postop, those who have a hard time getting in their protein requirements also look for magic splutions. And 42 grams of protein in a little test tube, and inexpensive to boot, seems like a magic answer.

But magic doesn't exist. It's not real. It's smoke and mirrors. Illusions. Real, honest to goodness answers are a little more difficult. And giving money to these charlatans is just a bad idea. 

I don't know your doctor. But I've seen a lot of really, really ****ty nutrition advice given out by doctors, nutritionists, and their programs. I don't know if they are simply uninformed, or lazy, or both. Their job is to operate. If you follow their nutritional advice blindly, it is you who will suffer the consequences, not them.

For anyone else reading this thread, the best protein supplements will be 100 percent whey protein isolate. There are literally hundreds to choose from, with more flavors than you can shake a stick at. They will maximize your health and nutrition. But they are not magic.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/16 3:13 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

My doctor said to share this article with you. It seems it might help with loose skin, hair loss, dibetes, and bone mass, among many other benefits. I prefer science, to opinion, of non professionals myself. However, as the post is about how to get your protein in easily for those who struggle, saying beef, chicken, eggs etc are better is just off topic. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/121952-collagen-rich-foods/

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/16 3:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I wrote in a post above that collagen has some benefits for hair, skin, and nails. But that's for people who are already meeting their daily nutritional needs, from good quality protein with a high bioavailabilty.

You'll lose more muscle than everyone else, but hey, you'll have fabulous nails.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 8/9/16 4:00 pm - WI

How about this for a reality check.  Some of us have been on this site for many years... even decades.  I can't tell you how many people have used collagen based protein shots only to return, a year or two later, severely protein deficient.  THEY ARE AN INCOMPLETE PROTEIN THAT BARIATRIC PATIENTS CAN NOT ABSORB!

Collagen protein might be o.k. for a person with a normal digestive system, but we don't have that luxury any longer.  We have to get as much protein absorbed in a very small amount of food due to our reduced stomach size.  That is why most bariatric nutritionist recommend whey isolate protein ONLY.  No cassien, collagen, or concentrate.

Go ahead and do it your way.  Arguing with an experienced vet who has lost a huge amount of weight, maintained that loss for years, and has good protein levels seems pointless to me.  I have been around long enough to watch people follow their surgeon blindly and fail.

Good Luck!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/9/16 4:21 pm

I cannot tell if you are engaging in sophistry or you are choosing this hill to (metaphorically) die on. Those shots aren't a good nutritional bet. Collagen is a poor protein source for us. Surgeons and other physicians often have very little in the way of nutrition education. They may mean well, but the advice is bad.

"However, as the post is about how to get your protein in easily for those who struggle, saying beef, chicken, eggs etc are better is just off topic. "

Pray tell, how is it off topic? Some of us still find chicken a difficult go, but beef is fine, for example. Should we, who know better, kick back and watch a new person fall prey to fallacious arguments on the wonders of collagen?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/16 4:50 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

Pokeman Hag? Enough said. I will take my advice from professionals, your pokeman hag status hardly impresses me to believe your knowledge of a subject over professionals who have studied it for years.I think everyone should as well, I have offered links to back up what my professional staff of doctors and nutritionist have advised me. Clearly, you or the fella that goes my the name hag, enjoy arguments, but fail to back up your claims. Have a great nihht, and good luck everybody getting your protein in. Follow what your professional staff says, it is a good as any a hill to die on

Pokeyman go!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/9/16 4:58 pm

No, no, darling. I am the Oxford Comma Hag; you are thinking of another hag, who is indeed the Pokémon Hag. I don't care a farthing whether or not you are impressed--only that your information is bad and you are spouting it with all the fire and zeal of a newly-minted convert. Someone not as discerning might actually it, which would indeed be a shame.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/10/16 12:52 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On August 9, 2016 at 11:58 PM Pacific Time, Oxford Comma Kate, Hag wrote:

No, no, darling. I am the Oxford Comma Hag; you are thinking of another hag, who is indeed the Pokémon Hag. I don't care a farthing whether or not you are impressed--only that your information is bad and you are spouting it with all the fire and zeal of a newly-minted convert. Someone not as discerning might actually it, which would indeed be a shame.

Say what?  I can't recall any dialog with the person who is referring to me.  This surgeon-is-always-right boot licker has me blocked so I'm not sure which bowl of wheaties I pissed in to make him/her so angry.  Apparently angry enough to be unable to read screen names.

Idjit.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/10/16 6:39 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On August 9, 2016 at 11:50 PM Pacific Time, paulfdoig wrote:

Pokeman Hag? Enough said. I will take my advice from professionals, your pokeman hag status hardly impresses me to believe your knowledge of a subject over professionals who have studied it for years.I think everyone should as well, I have offered links to back up what my professional staff of doctors and nutritionist have advised me. Clearly, you or the fella that goes my the name hag, enjoy arguments, but fail to back up your claims. Have a great nihht, and good luck everybody getting your protein in. Follow what your professional staff says, it is a good as any a hill to die on

Pokeyman go!

I think you should drink those protein s******clusively.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics