Please post your favorite high protein meals!

frisco
on 8/8/16 12:44 am

I eat Tacos a lot !!!

Beef, Chicken, Fish, Shrimp.... any protein ! 

Tasty !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Grim_Traveller
on 8/8/16 5:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Meat. Its all protein, with varying amounts of fat. Pick a very lean cut, and all the calories will be from protein.

Serving size will depend on how far out you are. Early on, I ate a lot of deli ham.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/16 7:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

In a nutshell: eat meat. Or dairy. Nothing else. MAYBE a bite or two of veggies after you're full of protein, but skip anything fruit, veg, carb until you've done meat.

You can look up nutrition info for any of these on MyFitnessPal.

• String cheese
  • Chicken breast strips + sauce (curry, BBQ, etc.)
  • ****tail shrimp
  • Beef jerky
  • Lunch meat
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Chicken nuggets (check the nutrition info to make sure breading doesn't add too many carbs)
  • Ground beef (esp. with pasta sauce)
  • Shredded pre-made BBQ meat or taco filling
  • Pot roast

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 8/10/16 1:00 pm

Duh, forgot seafood on my list. I ate a lot of fish and shrimp. I need to get back to eating seafood again!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Karen D.
on 8/13/16 4:55 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
On August 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Hag of Science wrote:

In a nutshell: eat meat. Or dairy. Nothing else. MAYBE a bite or two of veggies after you're full of protein, but skip anything fruit, veg, carb until you've done meat.

You can look up nutrition info for any of these on MyFitnessPal.

• String cheese
  • Chicken breast strips + sauce (curry, BBQ, etc.)
  • ****tail shrimp
  • Beef jerky
  • Lunch meat
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Chicken nuggets (check the nutrition info to make sure breading doesn't add too many carbs)
  • Ground beef (esp. with pasta sauce)
  • Shredded pre-made BBQ meat or taco filling
  • Pot roast

Julie - you make it so simple!  I have been stuck, losing inches some but no pounds.  I need to do this and see if it helps.  I eat fruit and veg now.  After almost 10 years of not being able to eat with a lapband I'm enjoying the healthy choices I was denied for so long!

luvmypuggies
on 8/8/16 10:42 am

My go-to's for protein (besides the Premier proteins shakes - easy 30g protein) is ground turkey/chicken and pre-packaged grilled chicken breast pieces from Costco (in bags, refrig cases in the meat area).  Add a little sauce of some kind to moisten and make it easier to tolerate, and maybe sprinkle a little cheese on top.  This week, I've been having about 2 oz of chicken (approx 17g protein), a little bit of BBQ sauce (watch the carbs), and a little cheddar on top - nuke it for a few seconds and enjoy the yummy-ness. :)   Other times, I use Trader Joe Yellow Curry sauce and maybe throw in a little cauliflower - omg, so delish! It's super helpful to use an app like myfitnesspal to plan your food for the day.

One more thought - look on the blog "The World According to Eggface" for loads and loads of ideas. Her recipe for "ricotta bake" is fantastic (and I didn't think I liked ricotta).  I throw some turkey pepperoni on there and it's like a yummy version of pizza. My family goobles this down before it has a chance to cool off.

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/16 2:12 pm
VSG on 07/11/16
On August 8, 2016 at 12:10 AM Pacific Time, mndvrmtt wrote:

I'm having trouble hitting 60g. Please include the serving size and grams of protein. Also, I don't eat fish or cottage cheese. Thanks in advance!  

New Whey Protein shots 3.5 oz, packed with 42 carbs, easy to get over half in 1 gulp. Google it, you can get a case of 12 for 22.49, I believe Vitaminshoppe

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/16 9:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The New Whey protein shots are mostly collagen protein. Think horse and cow hooves. It's a really bad nutritional source. The bioavailability is really low, and it's an incomplete protein. You won't be absorbing much of this. I wouldn't be counting on New Whey shots toward my minimum protein requirements.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/16 11:52 am
VSG on 07/11/16
On August 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

The New Whey protein shots are mostly collagen protein. Think horse and cow hooves. It's a really bad nutritional source. The bioavailability is really low, and it's an incomplete protein. You won't be absorbing much of this. I wouldn't be counting on New Whey shots toward my minimum protein requirements.

My doctor, and most reviewers on all sites disagree with you. So what is your degree in, and please site a study that says it basically is junk, so I can ask my doctor without saying, someone on a message board says you are wrong

http://www.dietspotlight.com/new-whey-liquid-protein-review/

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/16 12:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You can find the information everywhere, as long as you aren't looking at product reviews, which are essentially advertising.

Collagen is missing 10 percent of essential amino acids, has very little of several others, and is missing a few other amino acids as well. When you are getting very, very little other protein in your diet, these are glaring omissions.

The other issue is bioavailability. That is, out of the protein it DOES contain, how much can your body actually ABSORB and USE. Find a listing of the PDCAAS, or Protein Digestability Corrected Amino Acid Score. The scores go from 0 to 1. A 0 means the protein is completely worthless, and a 1 means it is ALL absorbed.

Whey protein isolate has a perfect score of 1, which is why knowledgeable nutritionists recommend it as the only source for us. Eggs score .97, red meat and chicken are .91. Most plant proteins, like corn, peas, grains, are around .5 -- which means you only benefit from about half the protein in those foods.

Collagen protein has PDCAAS score of .08 -- only 8 percent of that protein is absorbed by your body. So, 8 percent of 42 grams is 3.36 grams. Just over 3 grams, not 42.

Collagen has some benefit for our skin, hair and nails. But when we are eating so very little after surgery, we need protein for so many other things that are vastly more important. Like muscles, including your heart.

Eat what you want. But I think someone would be crazy to count any of that collagen protein toward their minimum daily requirement.

6'3" tall, male.

Most Active
Recent Topics