Is there anyone at or below goal having trouble maintaining weight?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/5/16 10:53 am
RNY on 12/31/13

As always Grim -- you're 100% on the money.  

And handsome to boot!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 8/5/16 1:10 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/5/16 11:02 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Not everybody loses grehlin.

Not everybody's grehlin stays away.

You can only put so much DENSE PROTEIN in a sleeve. Carbs slide right through, as do sodas and milkshakes and other liquid calories.

Sleeves mature. You can eat more at 6 months, and even more at 1 year. Immediately post-op I could barely eat half an egg; at 2.5 years out, I can eat nearly 3 if I pu****

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 8/5/16 1:12 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

On the contrary, your sleeve WILL stretch, and yes, you can regain weight quite easily if you're not careful.  My sleeve is almost 11 years old, and today i eat normal size portions (for an average person, not a MO person), and nobody would guess I had any wls.  I estimate my sleeve to be about the size of a soda can, where it started out as only 100cc's in size (about an egg).  It's no where near it's original size of a football, but I can eat plenty, and being a DSer to boot, I eat enough to get all the protein I need without any supplements.

Because we have the added malabsorption with the DS, some need to add creon, a digestive enzyme to boost absorption.  With the sleeve, one might increase the amount they eat or eat more calorie dense foods or even (gasp) some healthy carbs.  I've not seen anyone with the sleeve alone a year later complaining that they cannot stop losing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Anne O.
on 8/7/16 12:52 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I thought that the size that your sleeve was at a year and a half was going to be it. 

It does get larger over the years? When would you say that your sleeve got to the size of a soda can? 

I am mad at myself that I didn't ask for a larger sleeve. Really, it's all about the choices I make anyway. I just needed a tool, not something so small that I think I've given myself surgical anorexia. 

Today all I've been able to eat so far is a protein shake and a poached egg. That's it.  That just doesn't sound healthy. 

Valerie G.
on 8/10/16 9:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

it's not healthy long-term, which is why supplements are so important.  It was a couple of years before I could eat somewhat normally, as in, nobody asked what was wrong with me or the food anymore.  Today I'm nearing 11 yrs post op, and I can eat plenty.  If you look at "suggested serving sizes" of food labels, you'll see that it would likely all fit in a coke can.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

happyteacher
on 10/30/16 1:33 pm

We all went through tiny portions very early out. Your sleeve is new and swollen. Most of us look back at the first month or two and wish for smaller capacity like that. Your sleeve will mature for sure and give you plenty of space for a small adult meal when it is done. You system will be able to handle the minimal amount of food you take in over the first couple of weeks so no worries there. Fluids is actually most important right now, then as much protein as you can manage. I know early out I couldn't even get a half of protein shake down and then some times not. I had to switch to Isopure (drinks like koolaid) in order to hit my protein goals 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Laura in Texas
on 8/5/16 1:48 pm

Nope. You are incorrect. It is just as easy to gain with the sleeve as with RNY. I have several friends from area support groups who originally lost over 100 pounds with the sleeve who have gained every bit back. My other sleeve friends who had surgery the same time as me (8 years ago) have stalled at a BMI around 30 while eating only around 1000 calories a day. (My RNY friends have had similar results 8 years later)

We can all eat more as time goes by and/or graze all day long.

In my 9 years in the bariatric community (here on OH and in real life), I can probably count on one hand the number of people who lost too much weight by year 3.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Anne O.
on 8/5/16 2:05 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

So, the body adjusts to only 1000 calories a day and holds on to every bit of it. For someone who had never been obese and had a BMI of 30, 1000 calories a day would probably make them lose weight. I get it. 

Grim_Traveller
on 8/5/16 6:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Some people's metabolisms are shot, and need to stick to 1,000 calories. More often, WLS restores a metabolism that obesity had already wrecked. I eat pretty much exactly what medical science says someone of my height, weight, gender, and age should be eating.

Most often, the rule of thumb that most people settle into is 10 calories for every pound of body weight to maintain. So if you are 150 pounds, you'd need 1500 calories to maintain that. It's a rough estimate, but I'd say it works more often than not.

Keep in mind that most people dp not closely weigh and log their food long term. So when someone says they are eating 1,000 calories a day, take it with a grain of salt. It could be 1,500 or even 2,000.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics