Food recommendations

Whatnow0621
on 8/4/16 4:48 pm

Please help me, I am going crazy. I need someone to tell me what I can eat at 6 weeks because right now I am not eating pretty much daily. I am still having to take anti nauseous medicine to get through the day. Can I eat shaved lunch meat? My doctor is no help, I have not seena  dietitian and none of this was covered prior to surgery. I want to stop dwelling and move forward but it is hard to do when I feel like I did something to myself that's going to cause me to starve. 

Donna L.
on 8/4/16 5:15 pm, edited 8/4/16 10:15 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's okay to not eat to some degree at six weeks.  Nausea is a common side effect with any gastrectomy (not just the sleeve).  Severity is what matters.  What are you consuming daily including liquids?  Are you able to stay hydrated?  If you are overweight your body has nutrition right there, but you must absolutely stay hydrated.

Does the surgeon's office have a dietician?  If not, you ould always find your own.  I was eating solid food a little after six weeks, but every surgeon is different.  If you are nauseous, cottage cheese worked well for me, as well as ricotta (baked or cold).  I ate a LOT of cottage cheese around six weeks.  Meat is the hardest for us to eat unpureed, red meat especially, but everyone is different.  Generally after 4-6 weeks most of us, again depending on the surgeon, do start to very slowly add foods back, but it's done under the guidance of a dietician.

You can ask your PCP for a referral to one even if the surgeon did not provide one.  Seek out dieticians registered with the ASMBS.   

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

NYMom222
on 8/4/16 5:59 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Nausea can be caused by not taking in enough liquids...make sure you are at 64oz minimum. Every Doc's food progression is different, but by 6 weeks I was allowed all foods. Expected to be healthy choices of course. My Doc's Mantra is "Protein first, then veggies and then IF you have any room, fruits and carbs."

For me transitioning to real food I had to remember - small bites- chew it well- keep it moist, and add a little broth, sauce or condiment if needed.

Check out the blog: The World according to Eggface --she has recipes for all stages.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Keith L.
on 8/4/16 6:12 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You really should try to find a support group near you. That would help you out a lot. Your doctor sounds like a tool for not making sure you had a plan after your surgery. Here are a few links from the Cleveland Clinic which is a COE and a very good program. This should give you a lot of missing information:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/bariatric-and-metabol ic-institute/after-surgery

Start on Page 60 of this:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/ccf/media/Files/BMI/patient-h andbook.pdf?la=en

Yes thinly sliced deli meats are ok, but not nutritionally the best choice. Home cooked whole foods are your best. If you are having trouble with nausia, you should consider starting with the puree'd foods part of the plan above. Also you need to really be nailing your protein and water goals. At 6 weeks the only way to comfortably hit your protein goals (60-80 grams per day) is to use protein drinks or shakes. My wife i****ting her target every day by using IsoPure RTD as they are thinner than a regular protein shake. Many RTD (ready to drink) I think you will find easier to get down than a mixed protein shake although I think mixed taste a lot better.

Not eating or drinking enough will slow or stop your weight loss so you really need to be on top of your game. If you google Gastric Sleeve Post Op Diet you should find many other approaches if what I have given you above does not work for you.

Feel free to reach out to me with specific questions.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Whatnow0621
on 8/4/16 6:57 pm

I triedto explain to my doctor on Thursday that I am having a problem with getting in liquid of any kind because it makes me feel sick and his response was "you just have to do it ". Let's just say that his bed side manner has changed greatly since the surgery. I feel like no one is listening to me explain that something is wrong or I need help. I just don't know what to do to get better or pass this. This feels like the worse thing that I could have done. Had I known that there would be no assistance from the doctorsoffice after surgery I would have decided against this. When I left Thursday all he said was see you in 2 months. I know that I have to go forward but the way I feel I am not sure that I will make it. 

Valerie G.
on 8/5/16 4:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Well, despite the delivery, your doc is right.  You really do just have to do it.  Try different temperatures and flavors of fluids.  Anything wet counts.  I found my answer in decaf sweet tea (with splenda, and I dislike sweet tea most days) and green koolaid, also sweetened with splenda.  You could go to the ER and get some IV fluids and it will make you feel better, but you'll sink right down again if you don't get at least 64oz a day.  It's only 8am, and I've already accomplished that.  I'll do it one or twice more before dinnertime.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

E. Jones
on 8/4/16 11:31 pm

I am new to the site, but I am 10 days post VSG.  I am saddened that you doctor is not interested in total patient care.  I am still in the liquid only phase, but am allowed low and non-fat yogurts, along with the usual jello, broths and low sugar, clear juices.  These (the yogurts) seem to go down well and do not upset my stomach much at all.  Non-fat ones are the easiest.  Also, I went online and found a "protein shot" additive that was developed especially for bariatric patients to add to jellos, applesauce, liquid meal replacements.  They arrive tomorrow.  The other members have already extolled on the virtues of cottage cheese, and although not yet using it, I am a fan of Trader Joe's low fat string cheese, which is individually packaged to take with you for eating as you can throughout the day.  Also, I have never been a big fan of protein bars, as I hate the texture.  My husband has found a version that is HIGH protein, nearly zero carbs and sugar bars,and  they resemble a chewy brownie that I think I will like much more.  They are Quest bars and are pricey at about $27 for a box of 12 via Amazon.  I wish you well and you have to get some protein in!  Your success of your surgery is dependent on you, since you surgeon and support staff are not comprehensive and caring. 

petra65
on 8/5/16 3:42 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Are you taking something for acid?  You might want to try herbal tea.  That can be soothing even when water is hard to get down. Remember you dont have to drink a whole protein shake at one time.  Drink a few ounces, put it back in the fridge and later drink some more.  Broth might be something else that is easy to get down if you are feeling nauseated.  Start with what you can tolerate and work forward.    

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

suecampbell
on 8/5/16 11:13 am
VSG on 07/01/16

I am so sorry your doctor is a total tool, but you've got us now!  I'm five weeks out, and am on regular food.  What really helped me meet my 64oz liquid goal when I didn't feel well was chicken broth.  You can make your own or buy it in the grocery store.  Sip, sip, sip...the food is not a huge deal but the liquid sure is.  Also, please go and confide in your pharmacist.  These professionals are so overlooked!  They can help you find something for your nausea...there are suppositories that really help for that.  They can reccomend different drinks for you to try, and vitamin regimes.  Call ahead and ask when a slow time is for them so you can come in for a consult.  

Focus on staying hydrated and getting the nausea under control, and THEN focus on the next step.  Please keep us posted!

Most Active
Recent Topics