Success with controlling GERD without PPIs?

Murk
on 8/4/16 12:22 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

I've read licorice tea can help - as long as it doesn't have any mint in it.

I've used it for slight stomach irritation, not sure if it will work for you but it's cheap enough to justify trying it out.

BayouGirl
on 8/5/16 11:21 am

I have not had surgery but have acid reflux for years.  I recently started doing this to help because I have been on nexuim for 10 years and am trying to get off of it! UGH I am now every other day.  Anyway.....half a cup of water with 1/2 tsp baking soda.  It doesn't taste horrible but its not good either. lol It does help!

Anne O.
on 8/5/16 11:41 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Thanks for the tip, but a friend of mine recommended that to me because it works for her...and....oh boy...the combination of baking soda and acid in my tiny little stomach...I had the worst gas, pressure and pain for a long time. 

happyteacher
on 8/5/16 4:59 pm

Ok, this one is going to be out in left field and I have no idea if it is just something helping me or if it is a known thing to help. I recently started drining Kombucha and no longer take any acid meds regularly. Once in a while I do need one, and use it. Then I have kombucha and done. I take meds maybe one time every other week now, down from twice daily.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 8/5/16 5:01 pm

Oh, and I remember my father used to have a little mustard. Not much  though or you will hurl.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Anne O.
on 8/9/16 6:07 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Kombucha for the win!! Thanks for the advice, happyteacher.  I bought a couple of bottles of kombucha at the grocery store and didn't even drink the whole bottle -just about 4-5 oz out of the bottle each day for the last few days and I've cut back from two to one nexium and from two to one pepcid per day.  And, I've been chewing a couple of DGL - licorice extract - before lunch and dinner - so it could be that too. 

There is a class opening up this month in town on how to make your own kombucha...I'm going to sign up for that I think. I've tried to make my own kombucha before, but I either made vinegar or sweet tea - I had a hard time getting the taste right. 

happyteacher
on 8/9/16 9:45 pm

So glad it is helping! I seem to do best when I have 10 ounces or so a day, but can go up to 20 ounces. I would drink a gallon of the stuff if I wasn't afraid of overdoing it a ridiculous amount. I am also trying to make my own kombucha. I ordered my first scoby off of Amazon, but pretty sure it came moldy as it was spotted and my first attempt molded. Found a guy at Trader Joes who was a brewer and he was kind enough to give me a beautiful scoby and starter, and I am about a week away from being ready for the 2nd fermentation. I am keeping my fingers crossed it turns out, becuase it is soooo expensive trying to buy enough for me, the hubby, and my daughter. We could easily go through a couple of bottles a day, and at $3 a bottle it adds up fast!

Most Active
Recent Topics