Success with controlling GERD without PPIs?

Anne O.
on 8/4/16 4:48 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Does anyone use natural remedies to combat GERD? 

TIA

Valerie G.
on 8/4/16 5:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Effectiveness is a personal experience.  One suggestion you can try is chia seeds:

Swallow 1 tsp of chia seeds, then drink a cup of water.  As they bloom, and this only takes a couple of minutes, they will suck up the acid.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Anne O.
on 8/4/16 6:21 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

That is interesting. I've never heard that one before.

Thanks.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/4/16 8:06 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Just be careful with chia seeds until you're confident that you're totally healed. I imagine they can wreck havoc in a still-irritated staple line.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ladygodiva1228
on 8/4/16 5:09 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You're a band to sleeve revision right?  Did you have any reflux issues with the band? 

I did and my surgeon strongly advised against me getting the sleeve.  I went with the bypass and have not had any issues with reflux since the revision last year.  As a matter of fact I haven't taken any PPI for almost 6 months and have no issues.

This may sound strange, but look up apple cider vinegar with the "mother" I have heard of people using that to combat acid reflux. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Anne O.
on 8/4/16 6:23 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I did have reflux issues with the band, but only when I had a hiatal hernia. Once that was fixed I didn't have any more problems with reflux. I really wish I had had an esophogeal manometry before the revision, but the surgeon didn't say I needed one since I had no symptoms of reflux after the hernia repair.

Anne O.
on 8/9/16 6:10 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Thanks for the suggestion. That does work for me. :)

Keith L.
on 8/4/16 10:31 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I've never tried it specifically for GERD but below is a link to a YouTube video explaining why Apple Cider Vinegar works for GERD. You should also consider seeing your surgeon to see if you have an Hiatal Hernia. My wife had her's fixed when she had her VSG and has not had one bit of GERD since.

https://youtu.be/XeHl5Y7m1xM

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Anne O.
on 8/4/16 10:48 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

My surgeon told me that I had no hiatal hernia when he operated 6/30. 

Anne O.
on 8/9/16 6:10 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

The apple cider vinegar with the mother in some water with honey worked for me and happyteacher's kombucha suggestion. I think they both work on the same principle - they are both fermented. 

Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics