Some random lady questions

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/16 1:28 pm

For ladies whose periods have become irregular with obesity, when did you re-start menstruating normally if at all?

When walking post surgery to remove the gas in the belly, are folks passing gas as they walk? 

How soon after surgery did you shower?

Due to the estrogen-fat connection, after weight loss started could you feel your hormones rebalancing in a positive way?  Or, in a negative meltdown and fiery hot flash kind of way?

THANKS!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/16 2:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I can't personally speak to periods, since I had an IUD before my surgery and my periods stopped on purpose (yay!). The hormone dump DID mess with my cycle, though, and I had several weeks of spotting starting at the one-month mark or so.

Yes, I farted a lot. Nurses don't care about that sort of thing.

I took a quick shower on the third day after surgery. Just a quick one to shampoo my hair. Before that, I just used a wet washcloth to clean up a bit-- not that it mattered too much, since I'd basically done nothing but slept until that point.

Most people end up REALLY cranky as the hormones shift around post-op. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, and they all go flooding into your system when you lose quickly in the first few weeks. It's not at all uncommon to see people come onto the forums and get quiet snippy and dramatic at the 3- or 4-week point!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/16 12:45 pm

Thank you for the reply.  How long is this extra-snarly phase lasting?  As long as a period, or a long time?  It's somewhat hard to imagine myself more *****y than I normally am.  :) 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/4/16 12:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If I had to guess, I'd say it was a few weeks? Definitely longer than normal PMS, but not so long that my husband ran away to a tropical island to escape my wrath ;)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

rachelp
on 8/3/16 2:02 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

I can answer one of your questions. The gas is not in your stomach. It's in you abdomen. So no passing gas. If only it was that easy.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Darcy G.
on 8/3/16 4:21 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

My periods were hell on earth before I started losing weight(I named my period Wes Craven, because it couldn't have been worse iif he'd directed it...).

After about 30 pounds, I became regular and learned that ovulation isn't a breast-friendly happening (ow, sore!), but my cycles were still a bit long iin two ways--periods still lasted about 11 days, and between I was on a 34-36 day cycle...

Now down 140+, I'm on a 29 day cycle and the period lasts about 5 days, with one bad day... Where the bad day is like an okayish day at my high weight. I even feel like I shouldn't call it Wes Craven anymore... (Even ovulation soreness has improved...)

Weight stuffs in my signature doodad. Present age: 42.

I didn't shower for 5 days... The first three days I wasn't allowed out of bed due to some internal bleeding and fainting issues...

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Whatnow0621
on 8/3/16 6:00 pm

I am in Hell with my period right now day 10. I have fibroids so it's worse and my doctor put me on a hormone that is supposed to stop it after a few days but here I am at day 10. It has to get better some time, right? 

Darcy G.
on 8/3/16 6:11 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I'm not really sure what fibroids do, hormonally-speaking. If the medicine given you hasn't stopped it, maybe call your doctor again?

Almost everything I've read has indicated that weight loss will help with irregular and horrendous periods, but I haven't really dug into it that much.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

McLassie
on 8/4/16 8:33 am
VSG on 07/25/16

I've been on the pill since I was a teenager for endometriosis and only get periods every three months, but I've been heavily spotting since I had surgery 10 days ago.

If you're talking about the C02 that they use to inflate your abdomen during surgery, this gas does not get passed. It's in your peritoneum, not your stomach. It gets absorbed in your body. Walking helps to absorb it. I had left shoulder pain from this gas for a week after surgery even though I started walking my dog two miles a day on post-op day 3.

I got mixed messages about showering. My discharge paperwork said I could shower post-op day 1, but the chief told me I had to wait until post-op day 2. I felt sick the day after surgery so I showered post-op day 2 anyway. I normally never miss a day of showering, but I cleaned up with washcloths in the hospital before I went home.

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/16 12:46 pm

Thank you, that is all helpful info.

Most Active
Recent Topics