Protein Intake Concern

lauracody
on 8/3/16 1:27 pm

So....as we all know....the importance of getting the proper amount of protein is drilled into all of us before and after surgery.  I understand that fully, doctors and google have made it clear.  However, I want to hear real-life stories from people who have had experience with consistently not getting in enough day to day.  I have tried several different things to try to meet at least my minimum but it is a daily struggle.  I drink a shake every morning.  In addition, I of course eat my meals and then try to make up what I am lacking for the day with a protein bar.  IF I get in my daily amount, I am usually right at 60g (the min for me).  The problem is that I do not enjoy protein bars at all...I try but I just physically cannot chew them.  UGH...gross.  

Bufflehead
on 8/3/16 1:48 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Can you have a couple of ounces of chicken breast or fish instead of the protein bar? IMO most protein bars aren't worth the calories and carbs you are taking in, not to mention that they are usually composed of weird, artificial ingredients and are basically a nasty-tasting, icky version of a candy bar. You could get as much protein for far less calories, carbs, and likely money, with some good old fashioned meat instead of a frankenfood protein bar.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/16 1:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

When you say you've "tried several different things," what exactly have you tried?

What do you eat in a typical day?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 8/3/16 2:25 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 3, 2016 at 8:27 PM Pacific Time, lauracody wrote:

So....as we all know....the importance of getting the proper amount of protein is drilled into all of us before and after surgery.  I understand that fully, doctors and google have made it clear.  However, I want to hear real-life stories from people who have had experience with consistently not getting in enough day to day.  I have tried several different things to try to meet at least my minimum but it is a daily struggle.  I drink a shake every morning.  In addition, I of course eat my meals and then try to make up what I am lacking for the day with a protein bar.  IF I get in my daily amount, I am usually right at 60g (the min for me).  The problem is that I do not enjoy protein bars at all...I try but I just physically cannot chew them.  UGH...gross.  

the problem with not getting enough protein is that your body will start to cannibalize itself for protein, by eating your heart, lungs, liver, etc, which are muscles and can be converted to protein.

you would be better having another protein shake instead of a bar, which is just a glorified candy bar.

emelar
on 8/3/16 2:31 pm - TX

If you have trouble eating enough, drink your protein.  I start the day with a Premier Protein drink (30g), mid-morning a grande latte (12g from the milk), some meat at lunch (15-25g), a tall latte in the afternoon (10g), and meat in the evening (15-25g).  Have a second protein drink if you can't get in enough solid protein yet.  Most people avoid drinking their protein because it doesn't satisfy your appetite as well as solid food, but it's more important that you hit your minimum protein requirements.

White Dove
on 8/3/16 6:13 pm - Warren, OH

For the first three years I rarely ate real foods but pretty much lived on protein shakes.

During year three, I transitioned to more real foods.  Drink an extra protein shake or two a day in place of meals.  When you do eat meals, make sure you are eating protein.  Salads, fruits, vegetables take up room in your sleeve.  Save that room for protein.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 8/4/16 5:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Supplemental protein is not a requirement.  That 60-100 g requirement is through any way, shape or form of protein.  It's time to learn what's in your food and eat strategically.

Cheese is my go-to for protein...all kinds.  I love to nibble on shavings of parmesan at my desk at work, and ricotta is so packed with protein, and so versitile, I can go from sweet to savory.  These, and some baked custard (made with splenda) were my ticket to protein goals.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

FuturePinUp
on 8/4/16 7:08 am, edited 8/4/16 12:10 am

I'd also be curious to see what you're eating on a typical day. Animal products are the best source of protein out there (if you eat them). Dairy, eggs, seafood, meat, etc. It's about planning and tracking. For example, for dinner last night, I made the infamous ricotta bake (recipe), but added in chicken Italian sausage. Each serving had a whopping 25g of protein when all was said and done. That's almost half of your daily minimum in one meal.

Breakfast can be eggs and bacon, or deli meat wrapped around cheese slices and microwaved for a few minutes. Snacks? I eat salami/dry sausage and cheese almost daily. I use Fairlife (higher protein) milk in my coffee. Lunch can consist of chilli or 1/4 roast chicken. Once you get in the swing of it, it becomes so simple.

How far along are you, also?

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

lauracody
on 8/4/16 10:10 am

Thanks all!! For some reason, half my post got cut off.  I went on to say that specifically I wanted to hear from people that had experiences with not getting enough protein.  I know how to get enough protein.  I know what foods have protein and which ones do not.  I typically do not even eat it if it doesn't have protein.  Salads, fruits, breads, green beans, etc are just a waste to me right now.  I should just add another shake or two.  Those always go down easy.  My problem is that just about every time I try to eat solids, it is just uncomfortable for one reason or another.  Hard to explain....but I just hate eating.  Cheese and shakes do great for me.....other than that...it seems like it's something with everything I try.  I ate eggs last night and it was all I could do to get them down, then I felt bad for 30 minutes or so.  Like here is what I ate yesterday:

730am- Protein Shake (20g)
830am- Coffee
930am- Chick Fil A Grill (grilled chicken, egg whites, cheese on an english muffin)-- at a few bites and decided it just wasn't worth the struggle (prolly got about 10g)
1230pm -- 2 cheese sticks (14g)
6pm- tried to eat about 1 egg with a few tbsp of grits -- not fun at all, but i got it all down (7g)
Total Protein - about 50g
Total Liquids/Water -- 80oz+

See what I mean?  I am just below the minimum requirement.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/4/16 10:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Eggs seem to cause quite a bit of trouble for a lot of people. I couldn't handle them until I was about 3 months out.

Have you checked with your surgeon to rule out any physical issues?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics