one month post op and struggling with anxiety and depression

eliminnowp
on 8/6/16 6:16 pm
VSG on 08/11/16

I have struggled with anxiety most of my life.  At this point, what is working for me is Celexa (citalopram) and regular exercise.  It's amazing how much better I feel from exercising. I know it sounds like it won't help but you'd be amazed. It boosts your endorphins and the neurotransmitters in your brain.  I also have done therapy a few times in my life and I think it was valuable.

I haven't had surgery yet (4 more days!!), and I am very concerned about how it is going to impact my anxiety levels.  I hope that you find something that works for you and you are feeling better soon!  One of the hardest things about coping with anxiety is that it is a vicious cycle - your anxiety about your anxiety feeds on itself and increases.  I find that trying to occupy my mind with positive, soothing, distracting activities can help break that cycle.  

KattattaK
on 8/6/16 7:44 pm

Oh goodness!!! I was going through the same exact thing back in 2009. It got so bad, I was ready to have a friend take me to a place to check myself in. My doc finally sent me to an endocrinologist, and turned out my thyroid was severely overactive. This may not be your problem, but wouldn't hurt to check. The moment I started thyroid medication,my symptoms got better and better, til they were practically non existent. Hope this helps, and hope you start feeling better soon!

Anne O.
on 8/6/16 8:01 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Hmmm....could be. I was on .2 mg of synthroid and when my labs came back TSH was low and the doc adjusted my dose to .175 mg.  I'm feeling better now. Maybe that was it. 

happyteacher
on 8/7/16 6:36 am

Hmmm.... when my husband skips his thryroid meds for a couple of days I always notice a difference in mood. Not a good difference either. Thought I was imagining that, but maybe...

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

KattattaK
on 8/7/16 12:35 pm

Scariest feeling eve,r before I knew the cause. I felt as if I was losing my mind, had lost my mind, and thought I would never be back to the old me! I'm usually against medication, but I felt better once I was treated with methimazole (sp??) Now, once my thyroid was stable? That's another story! I was taking my meds everyday, and I was feeling anxious and sick all the time. Turned out, it was time to stop the meds. Once I stopped taking it, I started feeling great again. So weird! Lol

Kate2016
on 8/24/16 7:40 am
VSG on 08/15/16

Hello Anne

I am dealing with the same issue .. I was a band that was converted. I feel like a nervous wreck all the time. I just had my procedure 8/15 /16. I go to the dr today but friend myself waking up at 3 am and unable to go back to bed it feels like my nerves are shot. I really wasn't expecting this because with the band I had no problems. Until 7 yrs later. I am so anxious about losing my hair and other aspects. I am also worried that these emotions are perm. Please keep in touch and let me know what your Dr says.

Kate

Most Active
Recent Topics