Insurance and supervised diet pre surgery

Nana12-22
on 7/31/16 4:58 am

i have BC/BS insurance I'm hoping they aren't one of the insurance companies that requires months before if a pre diet log from physician. Do any of you know if they do? When I called to see about coverage they never mentioned this. 

White Dove
on 7/31/16 6:02 am - Warren, OH

Their requirement is:  Active Participation and Documentation of non-surgical methods of weight loss.

They might accept your Weigh****cher records or something similar. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nana12-22
on 7/31/16 6:26 am

Thank you I have tried Weigh****chers several times. I'll work on getting that information from them.

Kudzu
on 7/31/16 7:52 am
VSG on 07/28/16

I have bc/bs and we ended up submitting way more than they needed. My pcp and my surgeon submitted 6 months of supervised weight loss, psych evaluation and a nutritionist visit. They pretty much said "thanks for the info, she's approved". Good luck with your insurance. 

Nana12-22
on 7/31/16 8:57 am

Does the six months supervised weight loss have to be continuous. I've done weigh****chers but not six months in a row. 

hollykim
on 7/31/16 9:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 31, 2016 at 3:57 PM Pacific Time, Nana12-22 wrote:

Does the six months supervised weight loss have to be continuous. I've done weigh****chers but not six months in a row. 

yes, it usually has to be six months in a row and they are very strict on that.

Kudzu
on 7/31/16 9:35 am
VSG on 07/28/16

The six months was seeing my pcp continuous; not missing even one visit. The other programs I'd tried such as WW and other things were merely documented that is tried all these programs with little or no success. But the 6 months is seeing your pcp each month and then they will submit that packet to your surgeon then once all your prerequisites are met, the surgeon is in contact with your insurance; submitting everything -- the 6 months pcp stuff, psych eval,nutritionist and his notes. I was approved for surgery in about a week. This is how it went for me. 

Nana12-22
on 7/31/16 9:41 am

Thanks so much. I was so hoping to have surgery yet this year. I have my appt with surgeon on 9/13 and both psych Evals next month. I'll call my pcp and get in right away to get it started. 

Kudzu
on 7/31/16 9:48 am
VSG on 07/28/16

Good luck with everything. I'm only 3 days out from surgery, but let me know if I can help in any way. I have no regrets whatsoever. I'm going through a little down time right now with healing, but my family is a huge support. Rally your support troups and you'll be there before you know it. 

Nana12-22
on 7/31/16 4:12 pm

Thank you so much I hope all continues to go well for you. I am so ready for this. 

Most Active
Recent Topics