Altered taste and smell

Albatross
on 7/30/16 7:40 am

Hello everyone, I'm less than a week after having surgery and have some severe problems with altered taste and smell. I was fine until the day I left the hospital and they made us do a challenge to keep liquid and proteins down. I forced myself but thought I was having problems just with the type of whey protein they used. It became stronger and stronger in the hospital room waiting to leave after but then I thought it was just an aftertaste/smell of the horrendous protein powder. However, when I returned home my house lit my sense of smell up like a lightening rod. I have come to realize, believe it or not that the smell of practically everything is making nauseaus, including my own body. It is worse when I'm cold. This is now effecting all these protein sources I bought before surgery. I am working to get more protein down and have found something that may be tolerable but it can limit my ability to hydrate because it takes 20 oz. of liquid to get 40 grams. I have to get through the clear liqud phase so I have more options.

Have others dealt with this? I feal it was the one eventuality that I didn't plan for.

mylastchance
on 7/30/16 9:28 am

I had altered tastes when it came to water,  metallic taste and never got over that so water is not what I like but force it in.  No problems with smells.  You need to find a powder protein you can live with.  One that is unflavored and build other flavors off of that.

The smell factor,  not too sure what to say about that....can't even handle your own....that is a problem....LOL 

All I'll say is hang in there things should get better and you will get pass this.

Good luck and good losing.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/30/16 9:38 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

The enhanced sense of smell does calm down eventually but it takes a while.  I don't think mine was as bad as yours though.  I drank Premier Protein and didn't have any issue with the smell.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Albatross
on 7/30/16 10:33 am

Thanks! I'm going to try the premium protein shake. It's primary ingredient is water not milk. I'll keep looking powders that I can handle.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/30/16 10:39 am

Your body is in ketosis. It sucks. But eventually it gets better. 

I used to pinch my nose when I had to drink most proteins during that time. Using a coffe tumbler so there is not a lot of smell escaping was a good idea for me. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Albatross
on 7/30/16 11:21 am

Thanks. The coffee tumbler is a great idea, once I find something I can get down. Even holding my nose hasn't helped much on the taste side, but I'm trying.

LeapSecond
on 7/31/16 5:27 am - AR

Me too.  I had a very distinct ammonia smell mixed with wet alfalfa.  My DW said I smelled the same as always, neither good nor bad. I kept changing clothes because I wreaked of ammonia.  Not ketones. Ketones are a sweet acetone smell.  The smell did pretty much go away.  My tastes have changed as well.  I like only one blend of food.  Greek caramel coffee yogurt with a nut and seed mix. I ate it almost every meal for a year.  Every meal for 6 months.  I have been off of it over a week. Regular food is just fuel sometimes nauseating.  Typically plain foods are better.  I still put lemon in my water because plain water doesn't sit well. I read part of a study done in Europe published 2014 that said taste and smells changes were common.  Enough so they change the consent forms for pre op.  I remember them saying taste could change just never thought to this degree.    

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Smallbites2015
on 7/31/16 9:54 am

It gets better.  I was the same way after surgery I guess it just went away. 

Every now and then something doesn't smell/taste right but not nearly as bad as it was

Most Active
Recent Topics