HELLLPPP, I need to get back on track

hollykim
on 7/19/16 2:43 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 19, 2016 at 9:33 PM Pacific Time, Queen_Q89 wrote:

Sounds good except i dont eat meat

I saw that but you were asking for help so I thought you had realized you weren't losing because of your vegetarian choices. 

Why have you chosen vegetarian?

Queen_Q89
on 7/19/16 2:45 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On July 19, 2016 at 9:43 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

I saw that but you were asking for help so I thought you had realized you weren't losing because of your vegetarian choices. 

No thats not the reason. I choose not to eat meat for my own personal reasons, but I do eat seafood. Why is it that lettuce, veggies and oatmeal will make me gain?

hollykim
on 7/19/16 3:03 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 19, 2016 at 9:45 PM Pacific Time, Queen_Q89 wrote:
On July 19, 2016 at 9:43 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

No thats not the reason. I choose not to eat meat for my own personal reasons, but I do eat seafood. Why is it that lettuce, veggies and oatmeal will make me gain?

lettuce won't make you gain but it is not filling and won't do much for weight loss.

oatmeal and the other carbs you are eating start turning into simple sugar the minute they hit your mouth, where digestion starts. 

Simple sugar is the form the body needs to absorb to use for running the body. If there is lots of simple sugar free floating in your blood stern, from oatmeal rice fruit juice and sweet snacks , your body is going to burn that free flowing sugar and  NOT break down your stored fat.Burning stored fat is what causes weight loss. I don't think you will ever lose eating like this

Plus the body has to hold water for every gram of carbs you eat to process the carbs. This is water weight. When you eat carbs all day, you are holding water all the time.

honestly,we have not seen the people who are vegetarian have much luck with weight loss. There are one or two who were successfil but they ate LOTS of beans and little carbs and Frankenstein food meat substitutes and non carbs vega.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/19/16 2:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Post-WLS, our diets should be PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN, 60g per day at the absolute bare minimum. From what you've posted, tuna salad and one serving of shrimp/scallops has you at around 30g. Not nearly enough!

Additionally, most folks tend to shoot for under 40g of carbs while losing. From this list-- excluding snacks-- you're at well over 100g. That too is a problem.

For meat-eaters, we should be targeting 10+ g protein per 100 calories. That's hard to do on a veg*n diet, which is why you see very few folks following such after surgery. I found this page which lists some potential options:

• Dairy
  • Soybeans
  • Peas, lima beans
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Spinach
  • Oat bran

I'd suggest speaking to a nutritionist who works with veg*n patients and presenting him/her with your nutrient goals to find something that will work for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

acbbrown
on 7/19/16 11:38 am - Granada Hills, CA

The physical part - how much and what you eat is the easy part to figure out. Just stay here, talk to vets, do research, if you have means, find a legit nutritionist. 

The mental part - why we eat - that's the tough part. 

Why are you off track? What's the issue?

for me, when I'm eating sugar and flour, I have this obsession with those kinds of food and this crazy compulsion to eat that i can't control. I gave up those foods, lost 60lbs pretty easily, and have no problem maintaining my weight with those things out of my diet. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

LeapSecond
on 7/19/16 3:44 pm - AR

You might try a look at a book 'A pound of cure'  written by a WLS surgeon as a guide what he recommends to eat. Lots of veggies. Good luck with a veg / pest. diet.  Do you do dairy and eggs? 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Queen_Q89
on 7/19/16 5:06 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On July 19, 2016 at 10:44 PM Pacific Time, LeapSecond wrote:

You might try a look at a book 'A pound of cure'  written by a WLS surgeon as a guide what he recommends to eat. Lots of veggies. Good luck with a veg / pest. diet.  Do you do dairy and eggs? 

Yes and i'll look into it. Thanks

Oneillch
on 7/19/16 6:39 pm, edited 7/19/16 11:41 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Are you weighing, measuring & recording what you eat? Do you plan your meals for the day? If not, try it. You'll be surprised at how all those carbs & calories add up when you start tracking them using a free app such as myfitnesspal.com

Also. you need to get in a minimum of 60 grams of protein a day and according to my nutritionist its best not to have more than 20 grams of carbs per meal or snack. If you need ideas, try looking up low carb vegetarian or seafood recipes on Pinterest. Try replacing the rice with cauliflower rice or a high protein grain such as quinoa (in limited quantities). Substitute pasta with zucchini noodles (great with stir fry shrimp) or make a zucchini lasagna. Good luck!

Sunshine40
on 7/21/16 6:11 pm

I am almost two years out and I understand what you are going through. It is very hard to get back on track so two weeks ago I joined weigh****chers. First week I was down 1.4 pounds I have not lost that much in months. I am to get weighed in again on Saturday and I am now down 2 more pounds. I have been working out again and making better choices. I know that I need to be held accountable and getting weighed in once week is doing that for me.

poplargreys
on 7/22/16 6:08 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I had surgery shortly after you - 3/31/15 - and began transitioning to maintenance last November once I reached 150lbs. I have lost an additional 10lbs since then and fluctuate between 140-142 most days, eating between 1100-1500 calories per day. When I was losing, I kept my calories between 800-1000 per day and drank a minumum of 100oz of calorie free liquids per day. I drink coffee with protein powder and milk each day for breakfast, and currently my lunches and dinners are usually a 3-4 oz portion of protein with an additional 1-3 oz of vegetable/complex carbs if I have room. I avoid eating to fullness, since that sensation is EXTREMELY unpleasant for me, and I avoid processed foods and white/starchy carb sources (flour, sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.) My diet did expand once I started transitioning to maintenance, but most of the foods I added were higher in fat instead of carb-heavy (nuts, butter, etc) so that I could pack in more calories while still staying with smaller portions. I still drink at least 100oz of calorie free liquids every day, and I avoid artificial sweeteners and sodas because they tend to trigger cravings for foods that I don't want to eat. 

Most Active
Recent Topics