New here got some questions!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/18/16 4:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If lotion prevented sagging skin, you wouldn't see anybody here having plastic surgery. Save your money!

Sleeves restrict solid foods, not liquids! You'll be able to drink quite a bit, especially once you're a bit more healed up. I could chug a full bottle of water if I really felt like it, but I usually don't ;)

My recovery was VERY difficult. I can't do opiate pain meds, so I did the whole recovery on Tylenol. I felt like I'd been hit by a bus! Some people do heal faster than others, but trust me, you're not alone!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

FuturePinUp
on 7/19/16 7:42 am

Thankfully recovery was really a breeze for me (2 days really), but not everyone has the same experience, so nothing to worry about there. :)

Firming lotion does not help unfortunately. I have tried it all and it hasn't made any difference at all.

Lastly, your sleeve doesn't restrict fluids at all so you shouldn't worry about how much you can drink. As long as they're no-calorie fluids like water, then you're at a huge advantage to a lot of early sleevers who have trouble getting in their recommended water intake. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Izzy311
on 7/19/16 10:28 am
VSG on 07/07/16

Thanks. I was also concerned that I was able to eat a 5 oz. can of tuna in one sitting. My dietician said it was ok and probably because my sleeve was completely empty at the time. 

And I have to say, your stats are amazing! I'd love to see a sample of what you eat on a daily basis. Congrats!

FuturePinUp
on 7/19/16 10:54 am

Eep! 5 oz. of tuna is probably too much especially since at so soon post-op, you are unable to feel "fullness" - due to the severed nerve endings - and can really risk damaging your recent staple line. That's why it's super important to weigh everything and not to go over those 3-4 oz. I didn't start to really feel fullness until I was about 1-2 months out.

And thank you!! I basically follow the standard rules of high protein, low-carb, and no more than 1,000 calories a day! At the beginning it was a lot of scrambled eggs, tuna salad, soft flaky fish, ground beef, ricotta bake,etc. The "Whatcha Eating Today?" threads provide a lot of inspiration! 

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Izzy311
on 7/19/16 11:06 am
VSG on 07/07/16

Hum, interesting. Wonder why the nurse practitioner didn't tell me that. They just say "you'll probably be able to eat 1/8-1/4 a cup." I haven't really measured anything. I just eat a little then stop. I don't wait to feel full because it makes me too nervous. I didn't mean to eat all the tuna that day. I just hadn't eaten anything and it was lunch time by the time I realized. Should I eat in the morning even if I don't feel like it? I never really "feel like it". Reminds me of when I was pregnant, nothing sounded good. 

FuturePinUp
on 7/19/16 11:11 am

1/4 cup is about what I was eating this early out. Measuring and weighing is definitely important because it's hard to gauge how much something is and since you are unable to feel fullness at this point, it can be really detrimental to your recovery. 

For me, I tried to get to my protein goal of minimum 60g a day as soon as I could. At the beginning, for breakfast, I would supplement with shakes or coffee with protein powder. Really though, the most important thing is to make sure you are getting in your water and measuring/ weighing everything you do eat. I track every single bite of food I put in my mouth via MyFitnessPal, and it has been a great tool for tracking my protein, carbs, and calories. At that early out, I was at around 600-800 a day.

cconroy55
on 7/21/16 1:27 pm

I tried a bunch of lotions - and though they didn't really firm they definitely made my skin feel nicer and gave me a chance to admire my new self in the mirror as I applied them - so go for it!  I ended up using bio-oil, which I recently saw at Costco for a good price.  It smells good too :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics