Feeling sick when I drink

Whatnow0621
on 7/16/16 1:20 pm

Is it normal to get nauseous when you drink? I mean every time, it's to the point where I don't want anything to drink. I spent yesterday hooked up to an IV because I am dehydratedand have to go back on Monday and Tuesday but I don't seem to be able to just drink, even small sips. I just need to know how to fix this. 

Donna L.
on 7/16/16 2:30 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Call your surgeon's office.  If you are constantly nauseous they need to know.  I was a little nauseous sometimes, but it was nowhere near bad enough to stop me from drinking.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Renren
on 7/16/16 3:45 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

Are you taking anti nausea medication. If not ask your Surgeon's office to prescribe it to you. I myself could barely drink water until I was prescribed an acid blocker.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

LeapSecond
on 7/16/16 4:12 pm - AR

Zofran is a wonderful drug for nausea.  I don't see when you had your surgery.  Is is jus****er? Any other liquids make you sick?  You might try warm or cold, adding a little lemon juice helps me.  When I was new post op I would steep fresh ginger as it helps my stomach.  Hope this helps.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Whatnow0621
on 7/16/16 5:16 pm

It seems to be everything that I drink. After a few sips I am sick. My doctor did tell me that I have acid reflux but other than the medicine for nausea that he prescribed when I was discharged on 06/23 I have not received any thing else. I don't have the urge to drink or eat. Both just make me sick to my stomach. 

Donna L.
on 7/16/16 6:25 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

GERD can cause nausea and vomiting.  Most of us are put on a PPI post-op; I was immediately after.  You should definitely call the surgeon ASAP.  Constant nausea preventing eating or drinking almost a month out is not typical.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Lisa F.
on 7/17/16 11:14 am
VSG on 06/06/16

I had this problem too, and my surgeon said constipation can cause these symptoms. Can lead to a vicious cycle.. because dehydration causes constipation.

I'm 6 weeks post op and still struggle with this, although it's getting better little by little.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Most Active
Recent Topics