Dumb newbie question

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/14/16 11:51 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The nerves in your stomach have been severed.  You won't start to feel any restriction for a few weeks.  Mine started at week five.

For right now, make sure you measure/weigh everything you eat.  Although you feel like you could eat more, you could damage your suture line if you overstuff yourself.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Pianolover
on 7/14/16 2:51 pm

everyone else gave you the right info...you wont feel what physically full is for a while. for now measure out portions set out by your surgeon (my guideline was no more than 4 ounces at one meal). Others said runny nose lets them know that they are full...that is sometimes true for me, but more than that I get hiccups that tell me I should be done eating!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Donna L.
on 7/14/16 3:36 pm, edited 7/14/16 8:37 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Everyone answered your question very well but I wanted to let you know I had trouble with this too.  I was thinking I was crazy.  Some people might even agree with that, actually!

Kidding aside, I just hit 13 months out nearly, and there's no real "fullness" for me.  There's only "tra la la I'm eating," and "ohmygodowwhatisgoingon" basically.  I have to overeat by a lot to feel that way, though, so it almost never happens.  I think it's happened a total of three times.  Once was conscious (my mother had emergency surgery) and twice were accidently at a restaurant.  

But you are definitely not crazy.  That's part of why the VSG works so well.  We have something called the neuroendocrine response.  This is how our body tells us we are done eating and turns off the "I want to eat" valve.  For many of us who have been obese, this was skewed.  Eating to fullness actually damages this response.  A lot of studies have shown that people who eat until they are very full then cannot naturally eat less, because of this.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics