Leg cramps

Reneesoae
on 7/13/16 8:53 pm

hey! I'm 14 months after sergury and I reached my goal weight.Two month ago I start whith severe leg cramps every night. I tried magnesium and drinking more but nothing seems to help. I'm really struggling. Any ideas?

jujuh
on 7/14/16 2:55 am - Northern Cincinnati Suburb, OH
VSG on 06/03/16

I take potassium with my magnesium. Still get them occasionally but a lot less than I used to. Also water, water, water.

rocky513
on 7/14/16 2:57 am - WI

When did you have your last lab work?    Low potassium, low calcium, and having a low ferritin (iron) count can also cause leg cramps.  I can always tell when my ferritin is tanking because I get terrible leg cramps.

I also have to drink at least 120 ounces of fluid daily to feel well.  64 ounces is the MINIMUM amount we are supposed to drink.  You may think you are drinking enough, but maybe you require more.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

mylastchance
on 7/14/16 2:25 pm

I get severe leg cramps from time to time and know just what you are probably going through.

Usually it's low potassium and calcium levels that cause that.  Also dehydration can be a factor so make sure you are getting enough water/fluids. 

PREGNANCY.....LOL...!!

Hope you figure it out and feel better soon.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

PUGGLESPUPS
on 7/15/16 2:12 am - MA

I'm almost 3 months out and have been getting leg cramps from the beginning.. they are horrible..  I take a magnesium at night which also helps with digestion and a potassium in the morning.. I also drink drinks that have electrolytes in them which seems to help alot.  I still get them atleast twice a week.  I will be having my labs done next week for the first time..  So i'm sure i'll find out what is causing them.  They are horrible.   Keep Drinking.

INgirl
on 7/15/16 6:29 pm, edited 7/15/16 11:33 am

More sodium is usually the cure. If you are low/lower carb your body will dump sodium to spare potassium in order to keep electrolyte balance.. hence the advice to have 1/2 bullion cube (broth) a day. Many years ago after trying extra pot citrate & mg supplements etc I read about why/how this happens and have not had an issue since upping my salt intake. If I'm not low/lower carb, then it's not an issue..

Browneyedsue
on 7/15/16 11:13 pm

Have you taken your calcium, I find it really helps to take it at bedtime with a glass of water, it also helps you sleep, also the revitive foot massager that sends electric pulses works awesome,,my dads a diabetic and had severe leg cramps so I bought him one and it has helped him emensly,,hope this helps

judypal
on 1/9/17 5:10 pm

I have severe leg and hand cramps I take vitamin b2,12,d3,a,c,d3,k,a, just about all with 2glasses tonic water64oz of pedilite and still get cramps doing a little better, my doctor prescribed à. Muscle relaxer I take in the morning and one before bed.  I am 10,. Year's out and this year went from 117 to 175 iñ 8 months because I quit smoking and eat more went on high protein low carb for 3 months and only lost 8 lbs any suggestions?

Most Active
Recent Topics