How you overcame your fear of surgery?

Kudzu
on 7/13/16 4:16 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

I wish I could do or say something to reassure you. All I can share is that I'm going through the same gamut of emotions. My sx is scheduled for July 28 - I'm 2 weeks away. I've cried, considered calling my surgeon's office and say "just kidding, let's not do this after all" (not really). I have had a few surgeries on the past; including 2 C-sections as well as my gallbladder removed, so I am not a novice to surgery. But I think now, "I was so young back then and a whole lot thinner. What if my terribly out of shape, morbidly obese self interferes and things don't go as smooth as my previous abdominal surgeries." My surgeon said that I could compare it to my gallbladder surgery; which was a piece of cake. I was sweeping my kitchen floor the day after I came home (not a smart thing, but I was young and not as wise). Today has been a better day for me. It has been a "practice" liquid day. I only have to do that 7 days before my surgery. BUT I have hurt so bad today. My joints and my muscles scream a lot, so I am putting that in the front of my mind that this pain I endure will be so much better in the months to come. I've also been reading the success stories here and tips. I went and bought myself cute baby spoons today. I've also been getting scales and other things I will need (amazon prime is too convenient!). But hang in there. We can and will do this. 

ubserved
on 7/14/16 12:01 am

I had the same apprehensions right up until they rolled me into the OR. Literally right up to that moment I went under anesthesia, I was more than half ready to jump off the gurney and run for the door. I however didn't. That was nearly 8 months ago and I am so glad I had the surgery. Life is so much better and the journey continues. My brother had RNY like 13-14 years ago and he and I talked about about this often leading up to surgery. He kept telling me, don't worry about it, you will be fine, you will be happy once it's done and you have healed up. Naturally I was the exact opposite filled with the what if scenarios. Now that I am past it, he was right, I wish I had done this years ago. You will be the same. Also your stomach isn't removed per se. A part of it is, basically your stomach is being resized, that's it. 

My best piece of advice is to follow the doctors instructions to the letter. You do that and you will be fine. Start taking short cuts and you will regret it, especially early on. Don't get in a mindset, oh one bite won't hurt. Yes. It will. I know if I never see jello again I will be a very happy person. Good luck. You will be fine. 

Khalid151
on 7/14/16 5:03 am
VSG on 08/06/16

Thank you all for your support and reassuring words.I feel less anxious now thanks to all of you. Off the top of my head.. can't they give me anesthesia when I go to sleep at night and wake up in the hospital with the surgery done =) That would be nice I suppose. But thank you all again! 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/14/16 12:24 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's normal to feel some fear before any major surgery.  Here's the good news.  It's safer to have a VSG than to have your gall bladder removed.  Seriously.  The complication rate for a VSG is lower.   Isn't that cool?  

Immediately after surgery, follow your surgeon's plan 100%.  You will not feel any or much restriction since the nerves in your stomach have been severed.  I didn't feel restriction until week five.  It's important to weigh/measure everything you put into your mouth.  Even now my eyes are far bigger than my stomach.  As fat people, we have a skewed view of what a normal sized meal looks like.  The surgery will help you to discover a reasonable portion size with limited calorie intake.

Leaks happen, but are very rare.

This surgery was the best thing I've ever done for myself.  It's takes awhile for you to adjust your routines and habits to your new sleeve, but then it becomes second nature.   I have more energy now than I've had in years, and I love going places and doing things I avoided because my size made me so uncomfortable.

If you're not in a support group or therapy, I highly suggest it.  Although they operate on our bodies, we still are dealing with emotional attachments to food that need to be addressed.  It doesn't automatically go away.  

Hang in there.  It's so worth it.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

diane S.
on 7/17/16 3:43 pm

A little fear is normal especially if you have not had any surgery  before. Personally it was not my first trip under the knife and the anesthesiologist had a very calming manner that helped.  Also, I had to really fight to get my surgery with my insurance and other issues so by the time I got to it, I really wanted it. Also researched and totally trusted my surgeon.

My hubby had his a couple of years after me. I waited around outside the surgery suite doors because I thought he might chicken out and come running out!  he did tell the surgical team he was experiencing a lot of fear and anxiety and they were very reassuring that he would be fine and they would take good care of him. They probably slipped him a few drugs too but who knows.  Anyway, if you have fears, tell your surgeon and pre op people. My anesthesiologist told me he had done loads of these with Dr. C and it was comforting. Keep reminding yourself why you are doing this and imagine the long term results.   gl Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics