Post-op Fluids Question

InItToWinIt
on 7/11/16 11:16 am

Good afternoon everyone- I'm new to the site. Had my VSG last Thursday and have been doing really well so far (knock on wood). I do have a question for all you VSGers. I've been instructed to get 40-64 ozs a day. It's been a challenge. My biggest concern is finding the balance of sipping enough to get my fluids in but not sipping so much that I make myself sick. Is there a rule of thumb how many ounces you can consume at a time without getting ill? Or did anyone have a workable plan that was to sip an ounce every 15 to ensure its all consumed. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mylastchance
on 7/11/16 11:50 am

Sip as much as you can to keep hydrated.  64 oz is a lot in the beginning.  The deal everyone says is sip, sip, sip and move around. 

Good luck and yayyyyy.....you're a LOSER!!! 

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

InItToWinIt
on 7/11/16 2:03 pm

Thank you. I agree 64 was too much. Fortunately the dr said to aim for 40 and know that could still be too much early on. I've definitely been keeping my Fitbit busy since I've been home  and thanks for the cheers. Hearing from others who have been through this already is a huge help!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/11/16 1:00 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Congrats on being post op :)

Have you found that you do get ill from too much drinking? 

Once I was home I quickly progressed to being able to drink a cup of warm broth in maybe 20 minutes.

One thing to try is to have liquids be warm. Its much easier at first than cold. I used to love plain water. Now, I dont really like it :\ I have to add stuff. I add MIO FIT liquid from the grocery store. There are a few flavors, my preference is lemon-lime. It also adds electrolytes, has zero calories and zero caffeine. People describe it as water being "heavy" when its plain, this makes it a little more bearable.

Also, a great way at first to get in your protein is buy unflavored mix (Isopure sells a good one, can get at GNC). Mix 1 scoop with about 8-10 oz of hot broth (use a spoon or fork, dont make too many bubbles) and your broth will be opaque but no flavor changes. ~25g protein in every 8oz of liquid ya drink :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

InItToWinIt
on 7/11/16 2:08 pm

Chris- thanks so much for the tips. I haven't gotten sick but I think I may be overly cautious in how much I drink because I'm terrified of vomiting, feeling sick or experiencing stomach pain.  A cup of broth in 20 minutes is a great rule of thumb to strive for. And the warm liquids are easier than the cold for sure. Fortunately I haven't had a problem with either yet. 

I'm trying the protein shakes but your idea of powder is a great way to boost those numbers too. 

And congrats to you! 80+ lbs lost already? You've done so well having had surgery such a short time ago.  I'll have to keep up with your posts to get some ideas! 

Thanks again. 

yvonnef1964
on 7/11/16 5:14 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Liquids goes through your sleeve right away. Some people take a sip every 5 minutes. Only thing I know when I took to big of drink was a few seconds of pain .

Welcome to the losers bench

Yvonne

roxy_red
on 7/12/16 10:32 am
VSG on 02/08/16

I had a really hard time getting even 30 oz in shortly after surgery. My advice is go slow, sip sip sip as everyone says. Shoot for 40 oz but if you can't get it in without getting sick, then take your water intake goal down a notch. If your urine is pale yellow then you know you're doing ok. It gets easier to get the water in the farther out you are 

Rothsteh
on 7/12/16 7:03 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Ive been very lucky. I have no problems getting my fluids in and I am two weeks post op. I can do a semi gulp (A large sip :)****ep powerade zero with me at almost all times. I try to go through two a day and have been able to so far. 

Most Active
Recent Topics