Really feeling like what did I do to myself

Whatnow0621
on 7/9/16 6:39 pm

So I made this decision based on a recommendation from my doctor because I had to have my lap band removed due to complications. I was having major food rejection issues. I'm not sure what I have done because I can't make myself drink protein shakes at all have not had any since surgery. With the Lap Band I used to hold my nose to drink them so I didn't taste them and that is most definitely not an issue now. Also I am having liquid intake issues for some reason I just don't want anything. Is it normal to get exhausted from every little thing that you do. I mean everything plus I am starting to sleep all day. Some one please tell me that you experiencedo this and made it clear through to the other side. I am 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/9/16 6:54 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hang in there, it does get better. Get your fluids in, just keep sipping. You don't want to get dehydrated & then you'll feel even worse or end up in the hospital. Try different temperatures for the water, some like room temperature, or hot like tea, or freezing cold. You can suck on sf pops too if it helps.

Yes you will feel tired, you're healing from surgery, protein will help with the healing, you'll have to experiment with the protein drinks. The nectar drinks are made with water so you can get in your liquids & protein at the same time. Take it slow, it will get better, & Welcome to the losers bench. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

mylastchance
on 7/9/16 10:01 pm

Right now it's a bit hard.  In actuality you have done the best thing ever for yourself !!!  You will not likely regret this ever.

Hang tight and everything will settle down and get better.  Sip, sip, sip and move around and you will feel better each day.

Welcome to the biggest and best group of LOSERS....Wooo, Wooo !!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Vickygrod
on 7/9/16 11:21 pm
VSG on 03/07/16

I felt the same way in the first few wpowder eeks, it's now four months out since my surgery. I didn't like the protein shakes either, always exhausted and couldn't drink the 64 oz. I knew I should be drinking. The shake I drink is called Unjury. I add half of a cup of "Fairlife" milk ( its higher in protein) and a half cup of coffee to either the vanilla or chocolate powder. It's not that bad now and I add ice. Try and sip G2 Gatorade every twenty  mins ana try to drink at least 40oz. A day or you could end up in the hospital for dehydration. Hang in there ana before you know it, you'll be encouraging the next new surgical patient!

petra65
on 7/10/16 5:25 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Yes, I was barely consuming anything the first 5 days after I came home from the hospital and. i realized I was getting was weaker and if I didnt figure out how to at least get some fluids in me I was going to end up back in the hospital.  I found warm tea went down easiest at first and once I wasnt so dehydrated, I could work on the protein issues.  No sugar added carnation instant breafast are a way to get a little protein in that doesnt taste awful.  I also find that homemade protein shakes with good quality powder can actually be quite tasty.  I wont say I feel like a million bucks but I'm not dehydrated and I can function.

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

cappy11448
on 7/10/16 6:07 am

I couldn't tolerate protein drinks after surgery.  My tummy didn't like anything sweet.  I was able to tolerate chicken broth, so I'd mix unflavored protein powder into my chicken broth and that's what I relied on for the first few months. 

I'd also put protein powder into anything I could stir -- yogurt, sugar-free jello,  sugar-free, fat-free puddings, cottage cheese, cream soups.  I was able to make my protein numbers without sweet drinks.

Try different temperatures, and different drinks.  You'll find something you can tolerate.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Donna L.
on 7/10/16 8:49 am, edited 7/10/16 9:34 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I disliked sweet everything after surgery.  I watered down crystal light to make my own popsicles, for instance.  I also lived off Unjury high-protein broth: http://www.unjury.com/chickensoup-protein-container.html  Atkins and Isopure also make clear protein drinks that aren't too sweet and are pre-made.  

I hated drinking after surgery.  And it is normal to get exhausted from everything, especially if you aren't getting enough protein.  It's best to let your surgeon know and be sure it's benign fatigue.  Also, you are healing from major surgery after all, so be kind to yourself. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/16 4:20 pm

The increasing lack of energy is a sign of dehydration. Please contact your surgeon or urgent care for guidance. Severe dehydration is life threatening. 

Whatnow0621
on 7/22/16 10:37 pm

You were correct. I wound up having 2 courses of IV's. Thank you 

diane S.
on 7/10/16 4:40 pm

keep your protein drink in the freezer until it has some ice crystals. only pour out two ounces into a chilled glass. then do another two. put cinnamon or vanilla extract on the rim of your cup. smells better. I had a hard time but made myself do it. also put unsweetened coco powder in  choice drinks. makes them more adult tasting.  put a blob of gy in others for tart taste. hang in there. you will eventually be glad.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics