VSG and Hiatal Hernia

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/16 7:40 pm

So met with the surgeon today and he informed me he would not be fixing my Hiatal Hernia. I asked why and he stated that it's just not something they usually do at the time of bariatric surgery. Is this normal?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/8/16 9:40 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Not normal at all.

I would seriously consider getting a second opinion from a bariatric surgeon. I'm in SoCal and would recommend my surgeon, Justin Braverman.

If you don't get it fixed, the acid reflux can be even more brutal and damaging after surgery. Can I ask who your surgeon is?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/16 2:57 pm, edited 7/9/16 8:05 am

Dr Troy LaMar. He is really highly rated and highly recommended by a few friends that had the surgery done but they didn't have hiatal hernias. He ha's great reviews online to so I don't understand the issue. I have my final appt with him on Thursday so I will have to clarify then. 

califsleevin
on 7/8/16 10:09 pm - CA

I'm not sure how you do a sleeve without fixing the hiatal hernia. It may not be something that "they" in their practice do, but based upon the number of people going through these forums who have had it done along with their sleeve, it's a pretty standard practice. Likewise, in SoCal, you have a choice of many surgeons, so a second opinion would be a good thing.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Bufflehead
on 7/9/16 2:35 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I co-sign with the other posters. Have a consult with another surgeon.

LeapSecond
on 7/9/16 3:28 am - AR

Sounds like your surgeon would like to bill for a second surgery.  Hernia's are frequently repaired while they are in there.  My wife had her gallbladder removed at the same time. It can be done but billing is a different story. I would check another surgeon out.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/9/16 3:49 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My Hiatel Hernia was fixed and they did bill it (surgeons bill) - single bills on everything else.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/9/16 4:07 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'd get a second opinion. I had a hiatal hernia & sleeve done at the same time.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Lisa F.
on 7/9/16 6:00 am, edited 7/8/16 11:00 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

I did as well... she said it was common practice to do both at the same time. You may want to seek out another surgeon.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Keith L.
on 7/9/16 7:35 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

My wife had her VSG with Hiatal Hernia repair this past Thursday. Her surgeon did both at the same time. Going into the surgery he said they did not know if they would need to or not that its not always something that makes the most sense. He told me post-op that hers was on the borderline and felt that it made more sense to fix it than leave it. If yours is small enough it is something that may resolve itself or become a non-issue as you lose weight. That being said you may want to ask a few more questions related to size and/or does he recommend a future surgery and if the answer to a future surgery is yes, I would either ask for another surgeon or insist that one surgery is better than two.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics