Recovery Time

Steven S.
on 7/7/16 12:00 pm - Houston, TX

Not a chance.  Even if everything goes perfectly you will be home Tuesday afternoon and off the strong hospital painkillers.  I was crying on the drive home from pain as you feel every bump in the road.  That night was the most painful and I could not even get out of bed without help as my core muscles were very sore and swollen.  Things got exponentially better after that but it still took a couple of days.  I'd say the following Monday at the earliest.  I personally took 2 weeks off but could have started work after the first week.  Then again I had no complications. 

I was 30 years old and around 130lbs over weight and could ride my bike 50 miles prior to surgery. 

Tracy D.
on 7/8/16 11:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have an office job too.  I had surgery on Friday, went home Sunday and was driving myself by Tuesday, but I still needed to rest and take breaks.  I went back full-time the following Monday so I was off a total of 10 calendar days.  

If you're able to work from home then you could certainly be telecommuting by Wednesday...but sitting in the office for 8 hours just 2-3 days out of surgery?  I would say "no way".  You'll want to lie down and rest and get used to your new way of eating/drinking before heading back.

Recovering from the surgery isn't that tough but recovering from the anesthesia - that's no friggin' joke!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Dcadaval
on 7/9/16 6:14 pm
VSG on 06/20/16

I had the sleeve and a hernia repair on a Monday morning, I was up and walking as soon as I got back to my room, walked around until bed time, and went home the next day.  I had no pain, no discomfort, and hope everyone's experience could be like mine.  I'm off for the summer but I know I could have gone back to work a few days later if I had to.  Other's I know couldn't get out of bed for a couple of days and had soreness for a couple of weeks.  It's a very personal experience which varies greatly.  

Age: 43. 6' 1" HW 413 lbs. VSG on 06/20/16 at Jackson South w/ Dr. Jacobsd

cici123
on 7/11/16 5:49 am

Is there any chance that you can reschedule your procedure to be done on a Thursday or Friday so you can have the weekend as two additional days of recovery.     I had the vsg procedure 20 days ago.   I don't think that I could have dealt with being back at work two days later.   I think I have had a pretty good recovery, but honestly, I was still getting some after effects from the anesthesia at that point.  I really think that a week is needed at a minimum.   Is there any way that you could arrange to work from home, or put in some extra time in advance?   Also to consider is the driving issue.    Some surgeons won't clear you for driving that soon.   Best wishes.

Tll59
on 7/12/16 8:24 pm, edited 7/12/16 1:24 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

I had my surgery on the 27th and went home the next day. Took a 2-day trip with my daughter at the end of last week which involved frequent short walks and a lot of sitting. Back to work yesterday exactly 2 weeks after surgery. 

Today I hurt more than I did just after surgery. I think my body is reminding me that this is surgery and a tremendous change in diet. While I could probably have worked last week, I think I will overall be better by resting. Just getting in enough water and protein took a good deal of effort those first few days. It was especially tough while away from home. 

It seems like you should at least move your surgery later into the week to give you the weekend for recovery time. 

Most Active
Recent Topics