Recovery Time

Donna L.
on 7/6/16 10:41 am, edited 7/6/16 3:42 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have a desk job.  I had surgery on a Monday, and I was still falling asleep on that Wednesday, randomly.  Your body is fatigued from surgery.  I went back to work a week later and that was seriously pushing it.  I also have a ridiculously high pain tolerance - I took zero pain meds, not even tylenol, after I was discharged from the hospital.  There's really no way to tell until after surgery how you will react to it.  The real question is: what does your surgeon say?

I would suggest taking FMLA for 2-3 weeks.  You can always elect not to use it.  If you wind up needing it, then it's there and you won't lose your job.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

hollykim
on 7/6/16 11:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 6, 2016 at 2:37 PM Pacific Time, jameskc wrote:

I will have the sleeve operation on October 17 this year. That's a Monday. Any chances I will return to work on Wednesday? Thursday, maybe? I work a very low stress office job. Comments?

no,not even

L. 68
on 7/6/16 12:00 pm

HI Jamesskc,

I had surgery may 24, 2016 it was a Tuesday Morning i stayed in hospital until Thursday because i wanted to .. i went to work on the following Tuesday because Monday was Memorial day.  i was fine for the week but by my 2 week post op i told the doctor although feeling well and looking great i  was tired so he said i could take as much time as i wanted because although i look great and felt great your body needs rest to heal..  i took 3 more days off..  Good Luck..  

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/6/16 12:03 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

No, that's assuming you have zero complications & are healing properly. This is major surgery, it doesn't matter that you have a low stress job. You need time to recover. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/16 1:09 pm

I too think that would be pushing it. How long does your Dr keep his patients in the hospital and what are his/her recommendations? As others have said this is major surgery. You will be very tired for a while and getting in enough liquid and  protein will possibly be a full time job. Good luck.

White Dove
on 7/6/16 1:09 pm - Warren, OH

I was 59 years old and had RNY.  I had a desk job, had surgery on Tuesday and went back the following Monday.   I could have gone back on Thursday.

I was self-employed for years and rarely took any sick time, maybe two days in 20 years, if that.  As long as you are off of pain medicine you should be able to drive. 

I packed my protein shakes and water bottle and made sure I walked around for five minutes every hour.  It was a little worse than having a root canal, but really not that bad.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ksflwr
on 7/6/16 1:23 pm

My surgeon wouldn't let me drive for 1 week post surgery.

serendipitoushenanig
ans

on 7/6/16 4:09 pm
VSG on 06/09/16

Congrats!

I had my surgery on a Thursday and returned to work the following Tue. I also have a low stress office job. I was not in any pain, however, I was very fatigued. Maybe plan on taking the week and then go in if you feel up to it? Or maybe try a half day to see how you feel? Just listen to your body and don't pu****

Best of luck!

Stephanotis
on 7/6/16 7:41 pm
VSG on 06/08/16 with

I am in a similar situation at work, I get it.  My surgery was on a Wednesday, and I went back to work part time Monday.  By Wednesday I was full time, but really wiped out at the end of the work day.  It's doable, but helpful if you can do the part time thing.  Good Luck!

FuturePinUp
on 7/7/16 10:47 am

I went back to work 7 days after surgery, but could have gone back sooner (also have a super low stress office job).

I was only on painkillers for 2 days post-op, and definitely feel I could have gone back on Day 4. Thankfully though I also had no complications. I think you need to factor in a week, at least, and see how you feel day-today.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Recent Topics