Recovery Time

jameskc
on 7/6/16 7:37 am
VSG on 10/17/16

I will have the sleeve operation on October 17 this year. That's a Monday. Any chances I will return to work on Wednesday? Thursday, maybe? I work a very low stress office job. Comments?

AMAZEBALLS
on 7/6/16 8:02 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

I had 6 weeks off. I was in a lot of pain the first week home. I probably could have gone to work sooner, but I was happy to be home to manage my meal plan and making sure I was drinking enough water.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

Bufflehead
on 7/6/16 8:19 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I work a low-stress office job and I took two weeks, should probably have taken three given my inability to get through an entire day when I went back to the office.

Recovery and learning a new way of eating/drinking is hard. Don't push yourself and try to be a hero. You aren't having a tooth pulled

That said, is there any chance? Sure, there is a chance you could return to work on Wednesday or Thursday. Not a big chance, but I suppose it is possible. I had my sleeve on a Wednesday morning and was not discharged from the hospital until early Friday afternoon. If someone had tried to prop me up and wheel me into work, I cannot even imagine what a disaster that would have been!

mmsmom
on 7/6/16 8:21 am - Woburn, MA

I took 2 full weeks and wished i had only gone back part time the 3rd.  Take the time if you can get it.

VSG on 04/28/2014

jameskc
on 7/6/16 8:25 am
VSG on 10/17/16

Thnaks for the comment. I plan to follow all instructions on diet and water and exercise while at work, but I can only be off for a few days.

Rothsteh
on 7/6/16 8:34 am
VSG on 06/27/16

I work a fast paced job. It all depends on you. I returned to work this week after one week. I doubt you will be ready by Wednesday. Anticipate a full week. Although it is laproscopic, it is still considered major surgery. 

Grim_Traveller
on 7/6/16 8:35 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's possible. But it's more likely that you'd still kill for an early afternoon nap 4 weeks after surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

malattogirl
on 7/6/16 9:13 am
VSG on 05/23/16

My surgery was on a Monday and I went back to work on that Friday. It is possible, but everyone is different. Good luck!

Valerie G.
on 7/6/16 9:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you serious?  You may not even be home from the hospital yet.

It took me a good six weeks before I felt like myself again.  Even if the work isn't physical, if it requires any critical thinking (or any thinking), it's going to take some time to shake off the anesthesia fog.  I recommend planning for four weeks off of work if you want to be at your normal operating capacity.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

luvmypuggies
on 7/6/16 10:38 am

If everything goes *perfectly*, I suppose it's theoretically possible, but your body still needs a lot of rest to properly heal and recover, even if you feel really good, so don't push too hard. You may also still be on pain meds, which can make you woozy. Maybe try to work just a few hours a day for a little while if you can, or take a long break for a nap midday. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics