Compression socks/stockings

honeywell
on 7/5/16 9:22 am

I have been reading on a few blogs/websites about using compression socks/stockings to prevent blood clots after surgery. I have not discussed this with my doctor as of yet, but I definitely will be before surgery on the 14th.

Did any of you use compression socks/stockings after surgery? I'm becoming very paranoid about clots after surgery.

Kathy S.
on 7/5/16 9:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I didn't and my surgeon didn't advise to do so.  Every surgeon is different so ask him/her and go by their advice.  They can be expensive and you don't want to buy them if you don't need them.  Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  Here are a couple of links that may help with preparing for surgery.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

honeywell
on 7/5/16 7:01 pm

Thank you for the links!!! 

LeapSecond
on 7/5/16 10:33 am - AR

Most surgeons have a thrombus protocol. Pills or injections for so many days to prevent clots post op.  I also had automatic sequencial compression devices to massage your calf muscles while in the hospital. They are annoying to hook and unhook to get up and go but they promote venous return and decrease clot formation. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

honeywell
on 7/5/16 7:04 pm
On July 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, LeapSecond wrote:

Most surgeons have a thrombus protocol. Pills or injections for so many days to prevent clots post op.  I also had automatic sequencial compression devices to massage your calf muscles while in the hospital. They are annoying to hook and unhook to get up and go but they promote venous return and decrease clot formation. 

I know I will be given injections to prevent clots. I need to stop being so paranoid about clots or I'll be up wandering around every minute. Haha!

ChubbyHubby82
on 7/6/16 7:32 am
VSG on 07/06/15

I was given a low dose of Lovenox. I had a PE after surgery thing to remember is that Lovenox is dispensed by 1 mg/kg every 12 hours. I took Lovenox for 10 days after I got out of the hospital following my PE followed by Warfarin. 

Tracy D.
on 7/5/16 10:48 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The hospital and doctor's protocol where I had VSG required compression stockings to be worn immediately after surgery for the two days I was there.  They warned that if I didn't get up a lot and move around once I got home that I would need to wear them at home too.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

honeywell
on 7/5/16 7:06 pm
On July 5, 2016 at 5:48 PM Pacific Time, Tracy D. wrote:

The hospital and doctor's protocol where I had VSG required compression stockings to be worn immediately after surgery for the two days I was there.  They warned that if I didn't get up a lot and move around once I got home that I would need to wear them at home too.  

At my pre-op class, I was told to even get up and walk every two hours each night. I was thinking maybe compression stockings would give me more time to get some sleep?

petra65
on 7/6/16 10:41 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

As stated, the surgeon/hospital will have a normal protocol while you are at the hospital.  I got Lovenox everyday and had to wear the SCDs on my legs which I actually thought felt good.  Kind of like getting a massage.  However, the biggest risk for clotting if you don't have a medical condition that puts you at risk is immobility so get up and walk as much as possible.  The compression hose are probably overkill but you can ask your surgeon for his or her opinion.  

Most Active
Recent Topics