My Team Expects an 18 Pound A Month Weight Loss Is that A Normal Expectation of Me?

emelar
on 7/5/16 8:58 am - TX

I averaged 10 pounds a month during weight loss.  Some months more, some less.  18 pounds a month at your starting weight is ridiculously high and trying to hit that mark will cause you nothing but stress.  Stick to the program, monitor your food and calories, move when you can - the weight loss will come.

malouser
on 7/5/16 9:10 am
VSG on 06/09/16

Thank you for your comments. I feel relieved! I will have lost 13 or 14 pounds my first month post op any way. 9 pounds the first 2 weeks and about 4 during pureed. I thought it was an unfair expectation. They are really nice in the office and I will mention everything I am eating-I have a detailed journal I enter everyday so they can see what I have been eating/drinking. Good news have hit my Protein and liquid goals almost everyday. They want me to hit 60-80 grams protein a day and 64 oz of liquids.

Kathy S.
on 7/5/16 9:48 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Wow, that is a lot of pressure to put on you?  My surgeon just gave me a range for my goal weight.  Stick with the eating program and your hiking and you will lose.  Be sure and take photos once a month, this will really show your success more than a number on a scale.

Good Luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

luvmypuggies
on 7/5/16 10:51 am

I think that sounds really high for a monthly goal (other than month 1 maybe), especially for your weight.  Weight loss will vary month to month as your body adjusts. Monthly goals seem pretty impractical because the numbers taper off the further along you get.  Maybe set a new goal each month if you must, but it certainly won't be constant for a long time.

I didn't add up what you said you were eating, but be sure to track carbs as well as calories and protein and try to keep them low.  Use apps like myfitnesspal or loseit to make tracking super easy.  I aim for no more than 40-50 g/day of carbs.  The low-fat strategy can backfire because they load low-fat stuff with carbs to make them taste better.  Aim for high-protein/low-carb instead.  

Good luck! :)

happyteacher
on 7/6/16 11:57 am

That seems high. I was a typical "model" patient- not perfect, but very consistent with my eating and exercising. You can see in my ticker my results, and that was with me having a pretty good chunk having to lose. (The more you have to lose typically the higher the numbers coming off in the beginning.) If it were me, just stay very focused on staying on plan, being very consistent with quaility food/drink choices, and get your exerise in. That always works!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

diane S.
on 7/7/16 12:14 pm

Seems like a lot. But I think its more important to focus on your eating plan than pounds lost per month. My plan was 6-700 calories per day, 80 g protein and less than 40 g carbs.  Worked for me.  Really cut the carbs. and of course no sugar. sugar free things ok.  Track your food and such each day.  Some months I only lost 4 or 5 pounds but I did lose over 100 pounds and got to goal. 4 ounces of food is quite a bit for a new sleeve. Keep it to the protein and you will get there.   gl.   diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

ubserved
on 7/7/16 9:27 pm

In the very beginning, probably, as time marches onward, no. For example, I am 7 and 1/2 months post op. I have lost 136 pounds since the pre-op diet. I am more active now that I was back then, last month I lost like 4-5 pounds over the last 30 days. Granted I was on vacation and while I did really well, I gained a pound and change which I also lost as well. My 4-5 pounds lost I mentioned above was net loss. I agree with the other posters to some point. I would keep a log of your weight loss, I did, I stepped on the scale every morning once I woke up and logged it, so I could keep a record, when you hit a stall which you will do, it can get depressing, but that said, don't stress over it.

As you become more active, you will build up muscles as well and that can slow your actual weight loss, but you will still be losing inches. Everyone is different and will lose it at the rate you lose it. For example, I had no issue after surgery, it was pretty easy, no cramping, no acid issue, not even any real pain, the nurses said I only used 1.2 mg of the pain pump I had control the first 24 hours after surgery. In that I was lucky being I have seen the issues other sleevers have gone through. Just keep your head up just enjoy the journey.

animallover1247
on 7/10/16 9:01 am

I am very upset because besides month one, I am only losing one pound per week. I am doing as I should, walking 10 miles a week, getting in all my protein (actually exceeding), taking my vitamins,  drinking 100 oz water daily, etc.  My dietitian told me I should be losing 0.5 lbs to 1 lb a week. I am almost 5 months post op. I think my efforts should be worth at least 2 lbs per week! It's hard emotionally to deal with. Compared to what my dietician said, 9 lbs per months is a lot!  

There's a video on you tube by bariatric surgeon Dr. Alvarez that talks about this question. Just type in expected weight loss after VSG.  

Most Active
Recent Topics