New to this...

caduplantis
on 7/4/16 12:31 pm

I am a 37-year-old male, and I weigh 425lbs at 5'4.  Recently my state approved a Medicaid expansion program, and since I am a graduate student, and not working, I qualify.  After hundreds of phone calls, I found a surgeon that will take Medicaid in my state!!!!  

I was mailed a packet including a checklist of things to do prior to being seen.  The nurse said it will take at least 6 months to complete all the items.  He requires 6 months of documented medically supervised weight loss, a psych evaluation, cardiac clearance, and a few other things.  However, I have been seeing the same doctor for years, and she has been documenting my weight issues for years.  Since this is already documented, I have cut down my 6-month checklist to barely a month.

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to review my chart to ensure the charting includes what is needed per the checklist.  Wednesday I see the Cardiologist for clearance, along with my PFT and ABG.  The only big thing is to have the psych evaluation.  I will do this within the next week!!!!  

I am so excited to be able to get things moving quickly.  If all goes well, I could be scheduling my surgery within the month.

Any advice??? 

malouser
on 7/4/16 12:58 pm
VSG on 06/09/16

I am very happy for you! One thing, everything is going so quickly that I am including some pre-surgery advice for you.

1)stop all soda now if you have not already. Start drinking a lot of ice water now. I love water with lemon juice. I drink it constantly.

2}Bring chapstick to the hospital-really helps

3) Get a Nutribullet or good blender for post surgery food prep.

4) Slow down eating now to help with your post op transition. Takes about 20 mins to eat just 4 oz of food. Get a timer for a good tool in helping to make sure you are not eating too quickly. You can get one at any Dollar Store.

5) Start walking now. A couple times a day do some walking you will be doing a lot of that after surgery.

6) Be prepared for a regimented post op Life. You really need to be vigilant with getting in enough Protein and Liquid.

7) Stay happy and confident. Things will get easier as you go.

cappy11448
on 7/4/16 1:24 pm

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find it as supportive and informative as I have.

I am so pleased that you are moving so quickly thru the process.  I think you will be most happy with the results.  I lost 98% of my excess body weight and went from 385 to 160 pounds, and a normal BMI.  It really works, but it takes a long-term commitment.  Yu can do this!

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

petra65
on 7/4/16 1:57 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Congratulations and welcome!  This is a wonderful supportive community.  I just had surgery last week after considering it for over 10 years and actually backing out twice before.  It is a life changing decision.  I would recommend reading as much as you can on this forum in the time you have pre-op and ask questions as they arise, there is a wealth of experience here and people will pretty much tell you the real deal.  Despite everything you read, there are some experiences you can't prepare yourself for, you just have to go through and I'm just starting that part of the journey.  

Look forward to getting to know you better.

mylastchance
on 7/4/16 8:36 pm

Yes,  Welcome to one of the biggest groups of losers  ......  Come in and stay connected to this site for good support,  and a wealth of knowledge.  You will see and hear the good, bad and ugly of WLS and you can learn from it all.

I guess my advice at this stage for you is.......get ready, hold on and shut up .... because you are in for the ride of your life!!

Good luck to you as you embark on this new journey and I'll be watching for your updates along the way.  Yayyyy for you!!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Most Active
Recent Topics