Feel stuffed every time I eat something

Whatnow0621
on 7/3/16 1:53 pm

Hi, I had my surgery on 06/21 and I have been having trouble getting in fluids and protein since. Water hurts for some reason, however ice is just fine. I really dislike protein shakes so I try to get protein in with Milk and yogurt but both make me feel stuffed,  I need some suggestions on what to do with that problem. I'm also afraid that once I able to have soft foods that I won't be able to eat, has anyone had this issue, if so what did you do? I'm scared that I didn't know what I was getting into. I had a revision from the Lap Band to the sleeve due to Lap Band complications 

Smallbites2015
on 7/3/16 2:56 pm

I remember that feeling.  It definitely gets better.  I stopped my usual protein shakes - Premier that I was using pre op thru made me really nauseous post op and moved to Unjury, Syntrax nectar which is really fruity and refreshing but can be sweet so I add more water.  I still drink protein shakes and even moved to Syntrax naturals.. Vanilla for now.  Mybariatricpantry.com has a great sample pack for the nectar and naturals.  

Take your time and congratulations.  

Oh oh I did chicken broth with some unflavored protein powder quite a bit.

Donna L.
on 7/3/16 4:29 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Is water uncomfortable or is it actual pain?  If it's real pain I'd talk to the doctor.  Revisions are much more complex, too, so it's good to make sure.  If you dislike protein shakes, the Fairlife milk was great post-op for me - 2x the protein of regular milk, and half the sugar :)  Icepops were a great change from ice for me, too, the sugar free ones.  Right now the big thing is to not get dehydrated.  The protein is a plus, but it's far more important to avoid that.

Anything but liquid made me stuffed for a few weeks after surgery.  It definitely goes away, unfortunately for many of us!  I really miss the first month after surgery in some ways.  I'm rarely stuffed a year out unless I don't measure my food.  Even then it's a more sudden and painful discomfort.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Cherie K.
on 7/3/16 5:58 pm - Hong Kong

I just got over this hump about 1 week ago (8 weeks after surgery)... It was definitely a challenge when I moved to soft foods because I was so uncomfortable after a couple small bites that I'd rather not eat so I just kept having pureed soup with unflavored protein mixed in... 

For the past week, I have been able to eat regular food if I take very small bites and chew the bites for a long time before swallowing... unfortunately, I don't think I'm eating slow enough because I always feel like I took one bite too many and end up uncomfortable for hours.

Most Active
Recent Topics