Lactose intolerant-- a year and a half out

Alice9248
on 7/2/16 10:20 am

I'm a year and a half out, 130 pounds down and 40 or so to go.  I've always been sensitive to any sweeteners since day 1 of surgery now I can't tolerate milk products.  This bites! Started slowly then BAM!  Milk, cream, half & half, cheese all give me stinky dog farts, gas, and well...you know.  Suggestions folks?  (Haven't tried greek yogurt lately- hope I can still eat that).  Anyone got suggestions for my coffee? The Silk I bought had sugar---boo hoo.  I used 2% lactose free milk but it just wasn't quite the same.  Anyone drink goat milk?  Is it gas producing? Does it taste as weird as I envision?  Help a sista' out folks.... 

White Dove
on 7/2/16 10:57 am - Warren, OH

Lactose tablets with any dairy product that bothers you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Naomi S.
on 7/3/16 4:20 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I learned during the pre-op phase that I am lactose intolerant. I cannot say enough good things about FairLife milk. It goes through a special filter that removes the lactose, while also increasing the amount of protein and calcium in the milk. It is available in lowfat, 2%, whole milk, and chocolate. I wonder if the whole milk would give you the creaminess you desire in your coffee?

Yogurt and cheese go through a special process that is different than milk, so they shouldn't cause you any troubles. 

Good luck!

Naomi

NYMom222
on 7/3/16 10:25 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I use Fairlife Milk as well...Lactose free, higher protein and lower carb. I know it is not the same, but have you looked at any non-dairy creamers for your coffee. Plain Coffeemate or something.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Alice9248
on 7/4/16 10:13 am

Thanks for the suggestions on Fairlife milk,  I will give it a try.  The non dairy creamer stuff is something I try to stay away from. ..I could really go overboard on it pre surgery so I'm trying to"keep it real" if possible.  Cheese has been an issue too so I'm going to try goat cheese and lactose free cheese.  It's a real switch for me since a cheese stick was always my go to quick snack.  I hope you are right that yogurt should be ok. ..I'm waiting a few weeks until my system had calmed down from its lactose rebellion before I give it a try. Thanks again for the great suggestions. ...off to find Fairlife!

Most Active
Recent Topics