Clarification on the 5 day meat test?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/29/16 12:21 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, please keep it on the down low.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

NYMom222
on 6/28/16 7:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Some people have done all meat, and some people have done what they consider 'meat and critter' ie including protein shakes and small amounts of dairy.... and yes eggs.

When I did it I did include a protein drink per day and half and half in my coffee or tea. I lost 4lbs of gain from a vacation as well 2 bonus. 6lbs all together.

You should always watch your portions and follow a schedule of eating you normally follow... still don't want to overeat.

This is not a fad, just getting back to protein forward, as we are supposed to be eating anyway.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

L. 68
on 6/29/16 10:25 am

Hi NYMOM222   

i like the "meat and critter" style...

keep up the good work!!

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

White Dove
on 6/28/16 7:12 pm - Warren, OH

Five days of meat only will give the best shot of being in dietary ketosis.  One member reported losing 18 pounds in five days.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 6/29/16 9:02 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I tried to clarify the "18 pound loss" in prior posts.

I did not lose that weight in five days.  At my 5/13 appointment with my PCP, I weighed 236.  For about three weeks, I tried to stay on program, but was having difficulty with the Carbs.  I had read about the Five Day Meat Test, and decided to give it a shot.  So the last week before my next appointment, I ate all meat.... chicken breasts, steaks, hamburgers, pork chops, eggs cooked several different ways, and a limited amount of cheese.  On 6/16 at my appointment, I was weighed.  The scale read. 218, which meant I had lost 18 pounds since my last appointment.

Sorry people got the impression the 18 pounds was lost in five days.

The Five Day Meat Test is a great way to slay the damn Carb Monster.  Now I have eliminated the Carb.  I am basically still eating a protein based menu, but I have added Low Carb veggies such as spinach, broccoli, salads (with regular salad dressing), home-made coleslaw, etc.

It feels great to be back on my program, and I'm hoping to get to Onederland by the time the leaves start falling in October.  I credit The Five Day Meat Test for my success.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Deanna798
on 6/29/16 9:18 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Mary - I have to give you props though.  18 lbs in a month is still ridiculous at 2 years post op!  You are doing so awesome and are inspiring me to push myself.  I know with your focus and sticking with super low carb you will get to Onederland!  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Mary Gee
on 6/29/16 9:42 am, edited 6/29/16 2:56 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Thanks Deanna.  I really am committed to my program.  I was very disappointed with myself for being off track for so long.... but I did have a lot of issues to deal with.  Those issues no longer exist and I feel I have control now that I'm on my own.  My freezer is full with chicken, steak, etc.  No bread, pasta or sweets in the house!  I feel good!!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/16 10:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Whether you do "all meat" or include "friends of meat" is completely up to you. It might depend on things like what foods you can take to work, what's in your fridge or on sale, etc. But as long as you're doing protein protein protein, you're all good!

You have two options for measuring. The first is to pre-weigh your food, and then eat only what you've portioned out. The second is to make some meat, weigh it before eating, and then weighing the leftovers to figure out how much you ACTUALLY ate. If you have a tendency to eat past the "full" point, you may be best off doing the latter.

Snacks are absolutely OK, lots of great meaty options out there! Jerky and lunchmeat are my favorites, as well as string cheese and hard boiled eggs when I'm not 100% Full Meat.

The only other big tip I have: drink LOTS of water, and make sure to take something like Colace or Miralax. Lots of meat means not much fiber, and it's good to keep your digestive system clear.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics