Going to Mexico even though I HAVE insurance. Am I crazy?

NHPOD9
on 6/28/16 3:01 pm

In addition to the other great points made, make sure you have a physician locally willing to take you on for your aftercare. Many doctors don't want to be responsible for another surgeon's patient. You should prepare for any worst case scenarios because they can happen. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/28/16 3:28 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My insurance had a six month requirement that I be on a supervised weight loss plan.  It was annoying, but it served me well in the long run because (1) I lost 50 lbs and (2) it gave me time to research and understand what I was getting myself into.

I have BED as well.  Surgery won't fix it.  It doesn't magically go away.  I've seen an eating disorders therapist to help me recognize and try to deal with this problem.  I didn't start until a year after I had surgery.  I wish I had spent more time addressing my eating disorders before I had surgery.

I totally understand that you want this done today, but I caution you that it might be worth your time to go through whatever process your insurance company requires.  My surgeon's office made me take a ****load of tests before they would submit my paperwork, including sleep study, nuclear cardiac stress test, etc.  A doctor in Mexico isn't going to be as thorough and concerned about your overall health.  

Going through the hoops with your insurance company is starting the process, actually.  Consider this:  Do you really want to fly to Mexico, have surgery, then get on a plane and fly home?   Wouldn't it be far less stressful and more comfortable to have surgery close to your home?

While the decision is up to you, I think you're better off having your insurance company cover the costs, and saving your funds for plastic surgery because they won't cover what you want done.

One of the behaviors for BED is impulsive actions, and in my opinion, your rush to Mexico approach is an indication that you need to work on that issue now.   These are only my opinions, so take them for what you paid for them 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/16 4:16 pm

Hey, you should try with Dr. Maytorena, one of my very good friends decided to go with him and his team because they have a very affordable price and also they helped him to make the insurance process.. He is in Tijuana, Mexico. Search for him...

McLassie
on 6/28/16 6:46 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

I understand that you have made the decision and want it done NOW. I also hemmed and hawed for years and the second I made the decision, waiting five months to go through the process seemed impossible. Let me tell you, it's not. I will have my surgery in four weeks and I started the process (made my first appointment) at the beginning of March and let me tell you, it goes fast. Now I'm happy for the time I have to prepare and get my ducks in a row. 

I think it's better in the long run to go local. You will have a relationship with your bariatric clinic, surgeon, dietitian, etc. You won't regret doing it that way. Trust me, the next several months are just a blip in the radar of the rest of your life.

luvmypuggies
on 6/28/16 8:48 pm

Everyone has made really good points.  I'm in the Seattle area as well, and I did a self-pay surgery at what is now called Eviva (Dr Billing rocks) because my insurance doesn't cover WLS.  You might want to talk to a local doc about your issues and concerns and figure out what is best for you.  You don't need to go to Mexico just because you don't want to use your insurance, although it is probably a little more expensive here. To me, being close to your doc in case of post-op issues would be worth the extra money.  The program I used has pre-op and post-op counseling, nutritionists, trainers, etc, and two years of followup to help you get the best possible results.  Good luck!!

happyteacher
on 6/29/16 2:28 am

I would gently support the choice of going via your insurance. I am not against medical tourism so to speak, and for those without insurance I think that option makes a lot of sense. My concern is if you have complications, will your insuranc then cover it? Most folks don't have complications, but a small percentage do. My surgeon told me back before surgery that they were not able to predict who would have compliations and who would not (of course considering particularly sick or otherwise not included). Additionally, you wlll not have the same level of support offered- local dietician appointments, support group meetings, etc. You can replicate that yourself by locating these resources, but it will make it a little more challenging. There are many on the boards here who use this as their support. It helps, but quality meetings are better.

I remember being super annoyed with all of the hoops and tests. I thought they were a waste, as I 'knew" I would pass them. It was a little different for me though, as due to a history of cancer I was already medically stalked and had a crap ton of testing under my belt. Still, better safe than sorry. They have those requirements in place to help maximize your success. It is not so bad working your way though that process as a result, as it gives you time to prepare yourself emotionally and time to start making some of the needed changes to help maximize your outcome. 

Either way, I wish you luck. I suppose if money is less of a concern for you Mexico by all accounts is a faster path. I get that, I do. 6 months of waiting for insurance approval compared to potentially being at a goal weight in 6 months is very understandable. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Lisa F.
on 6/29/16 4:54 am
VSG on 06/06/16

I agree wholeheartedly with the others here. I'm 3 weeks post op and have needed the support of the medical team to address symptoms, although I was lucky they were minor. 

I can't imagine going through this without that support. I have a psychologist, nutritionist and nurse at my disposal, and I almost always talk to them when I call. Once I had to go in as I had an issue after surgery where I needed to be seen. They got me in the next day.

I had a six month process. During it, I was anxious to move forward but once my date approached, looking back I was so glad I waited. There is a lot of emotional work to do and having time to do this work is necessary.

As for BED, I've come to the conclusion that I may have this problem as I've already gone off plan only 3 weeks post op, using food to deal with stress. I am going to seek support and fast before I squander all the hard work I've done. It was really scary and I had 6 months to prepare and I wish I had done more to deal with this before surgery.

Just my .02... I wish you well.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

jennabee13
on 6/29/16 9:54 am

If you don't deal with the binge eating disorder prior to surgery, you will not reap the full rewards of the procedure. Eventually your tummy will heal. Eventually it will expand enough to eat healthy portions. If you continue to binge and make unhealthy choices, the surgery will have been for nothing. It is just a tool. You have to get your brain and emotions in the game.

As for the Mexico thing, it is a quick and easy solution. A friend of mine had the procedure there. She has had some mild complications and has had a very difficult time getting a weight loss surgeon to see her in the states. They have all said, "I didn't perform the surgery. You will have to follow up with your primary care physician." That's a big deal. If you don't want to "jump through whatever hoops" to have it done, are you really ready?

Something to think about. Good luck on your journey.

roudoudou
on 6/29/16 2:39 pm

Thank you very much to everyone for what I feel are very caring responses.  I was sort of expecting people to say, "Just do it! Join us!" ha ha and it's great to see such thoughtful answers.  My head knows I should weight.  The heart just wants to do it.  I really resonated with what GeekMonster said about this being an impulsive decision, totally guilty as charged.  So much of my bingeing behavior is impulsive. 

I just got off the phone with my dietician and she suggested I pose the question, "If the surgery stops you from bingeing because it's too physically painful to do so (which is my contention), then why do they not recommend it for active bingers?" I'm going to start a new thread with that question as I really am curious.  I know they say you can stretch your pouch and overdo it but if it's as painful as people say after surgery, how could that even happen?

Again, thank you for the responses.  I haven't made any decisions yet.  :) 

cici123
on 7/1/16 9:50 am, edited 7/1/16 3:04 am

You are not crazy.  I am insured and it could cover the procedure and I still went to Mexico.   I had the resolve to go through with this procedure now and logistically with work and child care issues, knowing that I had ample time for recovering now that I won't have for about another two years, so right now was the time.  It was not  a quick decision, and I started preparing far in advance.   My pcp does not support wls for anyone, she is not flexible at all, so I knew I would need to find a new doctor and start a new relationship before even being referred.   I also knew and prepared for being able to find aftercare here.   I did.   I knew based on a couple of other people with the same insurance that going through them would mean a year of time.  That was not for me.     I did not pay for the whole procedure up front.   Sure it's money out of my pocket, but it is money well spent.   For us means, skipping a summer beach trip and for me changing the budget a little.  I needed to do this now.  I did it almost two weeks ago and I am glad I did.      I encourage you to not allow money concerns to stop you if that is the concern, however it sounds like there are other issues.  Consider yourself very very fortunate to be able to take care of yourself without having to jumping through your pcp's and insurer's hoops.    I do have to say that I don't really know much about the binge eating disorder component though and would definitely respect the advice of those who do.  This is more based on my experience.  So, I guess this sounds like a wishy washy response, but it is honest.

Most Active
Recent Topics