Post-op Weigh-in Survey

Secrets224
on 6/28/16 11:14 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Hello friends!!! As my surgery nears, I feel the need to ask... 

Post-op, did you weigh yourself every day, once a week, or once a month? Or what is your best recommendation? 

I was leaning towards putting the scale away and weighing in once per month on a set day ( no matter what day of the week that is). I think that might be the best idea so as to not be disappointed if it goes up and down and back and forth every day or every week. I could take the monthly weigh-in as a goal day. Or is this not a good idea? 

All opinions are welcomed! :) 

Thanks!!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/28/16 12:06 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It depends on you.

If seeing the scale not move, or possibly going up, will affect your mood negatively, then don't weigh yourself daily.

If you can handle variations, realize it's part of the process and not panic, then weigh yourself daily.

I weighed myself daily during the weight loss phase.  I wanted to keep my accountability on track and be honest with myself.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

acbbrown
on 6/28/16 1:17 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I don't think daily weighing is productive. It doesn't do anything to give you a fair and accurate representation of what direction you are heading in. There are too many variables to affect your "weight" each day. 

Personally I think once a week is ideal. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/28/16 1:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I weighed daily, bu****ched my long-term trends. (I'm a professional data nerd.) As long as the general trend was downward, that was OK by me.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Bufflehead
on 6/28/16 1:24 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

During very early weight loss, I initially weighed in only at doctor visits -- and since my surgeon doesn't weigh people until they are four weeks out, I didn't weigh at all for the first four weeks.

After 5 or 6 months, I switched to weighing every other week.

In maintenance, I usually weigh every day to keep myself accountable.

Alese M.
on 6/28/16 1:28 pm - FL

As the poster mentioned above about accountability....I weighed everyday and continue to do so.  Yes, there are stalls or a slight gain or loss, but I know I am following the program so it has to come off and does!

In less than a year, I lost 107 lbs and dropped beyond my goal wt currently...that was exciting and saw myself at a weight I never thought of attaining....I now weigh between 130 to 135 lbs but never ever want to get out of the "normal" wt bmi!  Next comes overweight so that motivates me.  I am 5'-4.5" which really doesn't give me much room to eat alot.  In the photo above, I weighed 145#.  

I am so lucky, at my age, 73 yo now, to have gotten the sleeve, just too bad I wasn't younger to have the elasticity in my skin.  So go into that surgery with being positive and following the plan to the letter.  I am 3 yrs out now and health is excellent,  There is so much more on my profile as I had Diabetes, Type 1.5 with kidney failure.  I received a new kidney and pancreas on 4-22-2003.

The program is easy as you won't be hungry at all.  You can do this and will be so thrilled with your new look!

Good luck with your surgery!  Keep us posted...

Hugs, alese

alese in SE FL    

Secrets224
on 6/28/16 2:40 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Thank you all for weighing in. I guess I will just have to see how I feel after surgerysurgery. 

poplargreys
on 6/28/16 3:39 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I weigh every single day that I am at home, I find it helpful to have daily feedback so that I can track trends. I am not bothered by fluctuations up or down as long as I can figure out WHY I am fluctuating - is it hormonal, or related to what I ate/drank, or something else like water retention after a flight or long car trip, for example. 

White Dove
on 6/28/16 3:53 pm - Warren, OH

Most people need the daily feedback of weighing every day.

Google weight loss results for people who weigh daily.  There have been some interesting studies done where people lost more weight with daily weighing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/29/16 9:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I weigh monthly on my "surgiversary".  Daily would make me crazy.  Weekly reminds me of the many years of weigh****chers and being disappointed when I lost little or no weight.  So monthly is best for me right now. That may change in maintenance.  I think this is a personal preference and what works best for one person may not for another.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Most Active
Recent Topics