Acid Pills

LeapSecond
on 6/22/16 8:17 am - AR

I just wanted to help clarify the term "acid pill".  In medicine drugs are divided by class.  Doctors usually prescribe from simple to more complex.  If you have heartburn and tums fixes it by neutralizing some excess acid then is all well with the world.  If that doesn't help your doctor may prescribe a stronger medication generally starting with an H2 blocker.  It may be an over the counter medication (OTC) and if that doesn't work they may increase the dose to prescription strength or move up in class to a proton pump inhibitor (PPI).  Whole classes of drugs come under scrutiny from time to time as research is done.  PPI's are getting bad press now and if it is true they need to be pulled from the shelf.  But excess acid is harmful too and needs to be treated.  You can do your own research on mechanism of action, side effects, etc.  as I would recommend everyone to do before taking any medication.  I just wanted to share the medications in each class.

Antacids neutralize stomach acid and relieve heartburn.

Mylanta, Tums and Rolaids. 

H2 blockers or acid blockers such as 

cimetidine (Tagamet)

famotidine (Pepcid). 

ranitidine (Zantac) 

nizatidine (Axid)

proton pump inhibitors or PPI's include:

omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC),

lansoprazole (Prevacid, Prevacid 24-Hour),

dexlansoprazole (Dexilent, Kapidex)

rabeprazole (Aciphex),

pantoprazole (Protonix),

esomeprazole (Nexium), and.

Zegarid, a rapid release form of omeprazole.

Hope this helps.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

LeapSecond
on 6/22/16 8:24 am - AR

There is another line of treatment for over production of acid.  Reglan or Metoclopram.  It stimulates the gut to move faster and making it more difficult for the acid to mechanically go backward.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

White Dove
on 6/22/16 8:50 am - Warren, OH

Very helpful.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/22/16 11:46 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Thanks for posting this.  All acid reducers are not the same, and many don't work well for WLS patients. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

happyteacher
on 6/22/16 1:46 pm

Great post!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

franklins1
on 6/25/16 9:52 am
VSG on 09/11/15

I never had much of a problem with feeling acid or reflux, but in the tests before surgery I was told I did have the problem and my esophagus has some ulcers or Barrett"s from acid. The concern is when the average person has their esophagus repaired it is done by taking part of the stomach for the repair. Since our stomach has already been taken, there is nothing left for esophagus repair. So, if the doctor tells you to take an "acid pill" even when you don't feel the need, take the advice and take it as a precaution. 

Most Active
Recent Topics