VSG and GERD

stacyrg
on 6/23/16 10:14 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Thanks, Grim.  I totally agree.  I have to shake my head when I hear people who have pre-existing GERD choose the sleeve.  I also have to shake my head at Doctors who will agree to do the surgery.  I know my pre-op evaluation included an extensive discussion about GERD/Reflux and my Dr steers his GERD patients to bypass, particularly since the sleeve is a closed, high-pressure system.  I get that it's ultimately up to the patient, but I hate to think that there are people out there needlessly suffering because they refuse to consider a difference surgery!

Tracy D.
on 6/22/16 1:20 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I never had reflux issues before but after - OMG! And I've seen pictures of my sleeve and it's a beautiful shape.  Certain things definetly set it off (like tomatoes!) as does too much food at one time or eating too fast.  

Just be prepared - it can absolutely make the occasional problem you have now a fuill-blown PITA.  I was on prescription  PPIs for almost 3 years before I was able to get it under control.  And I still have somedays where I have to pop a Protonix.  

Zantac and Prevacid didn't work for me because I discovered the hard way that I was allergic to them.  Weird because I don't have any reaction with Protonix. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

LeapSecond
on 6/22/16 1:51 pm - AR

I could count the times that I had reflux before surgery on my hand.  I take an H2 blocker every night and occasionally wake with reflux if I drink too close to bedtime.  I also sleep with the head of my bed raised 9 inches.  It really is a choice that is hard to make because you don't know what symptoms you are going to end up with.  Knowing what I know I would have still chosen VSG.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

stacyrg
on 6/22/16 2:29 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

If I had to do it again and didn't have reflux symptoms before surgery, I would have VSG again also.  If I had a history of reflux or GERD and was already on a daily PPI prior to surgery, knowing what I know now, there's no way I would have VSG.  Like I said, I love my sleeve, will miss it when it's gone and am terrified of my revision surgery.  I have zero food intolerances now, have great restriction and great weight loss.  I just can't live with the constant pain from the reflux, let alone the damage it's causing my esophagus.  

Phatchick
on 6/23/16 7:50 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Hi, I am 4 yrs post op from my VSG and my Reflux is baaaaaaad. I went in to have an EGD and the surgeon said I have developed a hiatal hernia and should consider having surgery repair. He said the sleeve was made too tight and this is what created the hernia. He wants to go in and put a mesh in. I also have terrible regurgitation if I do not remain upwards after eating for atleast 2 hours. I take nexium every 12 hours and this controls the heart burn. I lost 100 lbs with the sleeve and need to still lose about 50 lbs. The surgeon tells me I should have the RNY but I am terrified to do this surgery. He said with the RNY, the hernia would be permanently gone and I would lose the final 60 lbs I need to lose. He also said I could have a VSG tightening with the hiatal hernia repair, but indicated the hernia could come back over time. Good Luck and blessings. I hope my experience has helped. Hugs!

Most Active
Recent Topics