How long after VSG could you eat a plate of food?

mndvrmtt
on 6/22/16 8:30 am - Canada

Yes, I'm serious. I don't joke around when it comes to my health. My dad's girlfriend got the surgery and is 2 yrs out and can eat a full plate. Obviously, she stretched her stomach back out but, just saying, it's possible. 

ubserved
on 6/24/16 3:12 am

I would be willing to bet that a good portion of 'that plate' is slider type food. I am bit over 7 months post op and when I go out to eat, usually only when I am traveling or on vacation (otherwise I eat at home), I will eat approximately 12 ounces of food give or take. I am also 6'5" so I have a bigger frame. I also noticed someone else mention that they have probably stretched out their sleeve. From my discussions with my surgeon, your sleeve will not stretch all that much. When I asked him to clarify, he stated that the majority of the stomach that remains after being sleeved is the muscular part, the stretchy part that was there prior to being sleeved is what is removed during surgery. That it can stretch somewhat, but not all that much. I from personal experience have noticed that depending on what you eat will dictate to some degree how much you can eat. Thankfully for myself, I don't push my limits. I think only 3 times have I ever got the foamies which is a feeling that absolutely sucks. To those who might think I am sabotaging myself, to date since November, I have lost 136 pounds. Keep your eyes on target and you will make it work. The sleeve is a tool and it is only as good as you utilize it. A lot of this thought of when can I eat a plate of food is mental. When I go out to dinner, I will normally order a regular dinner, and I always take a box to go. Depending on what I order, I will get an additional 2 meals out of it. Good luck.

Smallbites2015
on 6/21/16 7:14 pm

Never, I'm almost a year out and can still barely get 2oz of meat , less fm want any veggies .

Britt U.
on 6/21/16 9:34 pm - Mill Creek, WA

I'm six years out and can't eat what would be considered a small normal meal. Overeating is unpleasant and makes me unhappy for about 20 minutes and yet I still make that mistake when something tests good, I have to be mindful. I had to reconcile that food can be brought home or thrown away and choose what I want if an appetizer doesn't appeal. At home I eat on a tiny plate and can still take too much - yesterday it was 5.5oz of my moms ribs and 1/4 broccoli slaw. Doh. Stopped around 4 oz. Of course chips, carbs and slider foods I can go forever. So I'm back to eating protein first and low carb high fat. Amazing how effective my sleeve is when I eat that way. I'm back to having a hard time topping up to 1200 calories. Hopefully my 5 year  weight bounce can be gone soon. 

LeapSecond
on 6/22/16 7:09 am - AR

Enjoy the getting full on a couple of bites.  Then get a smaller plate.  I eat on appetizer plates at home and when I go out I bring home the leftovers for another meal or two.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

yesican2
on 6/22/16 9:20 am

6 months out and I can eat maybe 4 ounces of protein at a time. I might have a couple bites of veggies.  I avoid bread altogether and try to limit the starches.  

I definitely mourn not being able to eat more, especially when something tastes good and I am guilty of eating slider foods. 

The surgery is great because if you overeat, you're miserable, but it won't change the head...that is what I'm personally dealing with right now.

Steph Meat Hag
on 6/23/16 11:54 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I can eat 4oz solid protien or 5oz of fish and that's that.  If I want to have some side veggies or something I reduce my meat portion down to 3-4oz with a 1oz portion of something, that's about a tablespoon.  

I don't think I want to or care to ever eat a full plate of food.  I do go out and being able to eat 4-5oz is a very happy place for me.  As long as I order a smaller meat portion I can normally come close to eating it or enough of my plate that in my opinion doesn't feel weird or like I didn't like the food.  Going out isn't about clearing your plate, you can always take some home with you or just not fini****  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Phatchick
on 6/24/16 4:47 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
On June 21, 2016 at 9:29 PM Pacific Time, mndvrmtt wrote:

Exactly what the title says. Just wondering when I'll be able to go out for dinner and eat more than a couple bites.

If you are lucky, Never!

4 years out and cannot eat a plate full of food. Thank You God!

Hugs,

Sharon

diane S.
on 6/25/16 10:33 am

Well you will never be able to eat a full plate of food - at least not restaurant sized - and be glad that you can't.  I am six years out and still order an appetizer as my full meal or if I get a steak, take more than half of it home and don't eat potatoes or bread.  Its just a new way to live and it works.  If you can eat a full plate you will be on your way to regain plus getting sick.  Be grateful for your restriction and get used to taking food home.  Two or three meals for one price!  Don't mean to sound preachy but learn to love your restriction; don't fight it.  GL . Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics