Should I go ahead with VSG or no? Please help

wally94
on 6/21/16 11:34 am

Hi Everyone !

Man reading through this forum has motivated me to take the leap and go ahead with almost booking my surgery , but then i go and watch youtube videos and see the good ....the bad....and the ugly and get the crap scared out of me !!

Some information about me: 

Having been obese my whole life, life was definitly a delicious rollercoaster, ha !

My highest weight was 160kgs (352.7lb), It took me a year to lose 40kgs (88.2lb) naturally through diet and exercise. My weight ha**** a stand still and actually in the past 7 months has just gone back up to 130 kgs ( 286 lb) . With yoyo dieting and exercising i will lose a kg/lb here and then gain it back.

My goal is to eventually be 95kgs/ 210 lb and I believe that through Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery and Exercise I will reach that, I always have to remember that this surgery is a tool and NOT a solution !!

As you could probably tell from my username I am only 22 years old, to be honest my family is against me having this surgery and not going to lie a small part of me is too.as i am not an excessive eater, lol i know what your thinking...i was 160kgs haha, but i actually used to only eat one meal a day when i was that big , i lost all that weight by actually eating more frequently (5 times a day) . A small part of me is scared that this surgery will stop me losing weight as i wont be eating much but again....its simply not possible as its CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT !!

What was everyones experience with VSG, any tips? Should i go through with this?  Appreciate any help or tips !!

Height 181cm/6ft

HW: 160kg/352lb

CW:125kg/275lb

GW:95kg/ 210lb.

Surgery Scheduled for 6 September 2016

happyteacher
on 6/21/16 11:50 am

If you have not yet, attend a free seminar that explains everything. I know you indicated you do not eat a lot, but something isn't adding up. Vsg is a restriction meaning you can eat a small amount. It really depends on what causes your eating issues which surgery (if any) is a good fit. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 6/21/16 11:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't know if I would have considered surgery if my total excess weight was "only" 65 lbs.  I say "only" because 65 lbs. is a lot and can mean the difference between co-morbidities and no co-morbidities.  I'm not trying to minimize the difficulty you would have with losing that amount on your own.  I'm just saying - at the age of 22 - using surgery to lose the last 65 lbs. is a drastic step and I can understand why your family is nervous for you.  

My problem never was with losing weight, it was keeping it off.  I always managed to gain it ALL back plus bonus pounds.  I did that for 30 years and was 100 lbs. overweight.  Still, that didn't prompt me to look into WLS; that happened when I found out that diabetes medicine I was taking was damaging my liver.  Liver damage was the light-bulb moment for me 

You will have to do a lot of soul-searching to decide if you are really and truly ready to take a step that can change your life.  But it's only going to change your life if YOU change your thinking and habits.  I've known several people (two in my family) who got WLS at a younger age. They completely didn't appreciate the gift, hit goal weight, thought they were "cured" and went back to their old ways slowly but surely.  And now each of them are 100 lbs. overweight again.  It's sad...but it happens. 

I wish you the best whatever you decide to do! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kris R.
on 6/21/16 12:17 pm - Walworth, NY

Everyone has to make their own decision, but for me, it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I did the lapband and kick myself that I did, because that caused a lot of issues on the in-side, including scar tissue and the erosion I have now and problems with reflux, but I'm so glad for my sleeve, and would do it again in a heartbeat - although I'll never have to :).  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

mylastchance
on 6/21/16 12:34 pm, edited 6/21/16 5:37 am

That's a hard one to say....should you .... shouldn't you....it really is a decision YOU have to make.  If we say oh hell yeah go for it....then you have a bad experience....we might feel bad....you might think we screwed you over....we gave you bad advice....all real situations that could happen....BUT....if you ask most of us would we do it again knowing what we know now????  I'll bet you would get an overwhelming....HELL YES! on that....I think the only regret any of us have is that we didn't do it sooner.  Go to some seminars....get the low-down on the whole thing....think hard and don't let others influence you.  Surround yourself with supporters and make a decision you know is right for you.  Personally....I wasn't a big eater either,  but I was a constant eater...... All I thought about was what I would or could have next....I was on the same roller-coaster ride and yo yo diet all my life....now I have a life,  I am not on the sidelines,  You are 22 years old,  life is short,  make the best of it but make sure you talk to Dr.'s and people who have been where you are,  do all the research you can and then make your decision based on the knowledge you learn about it.  This is one of those things that...once it is done,  it can't be undone.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I wish you the best, and I'll be watching for your decision and will support you either way.  Good luck

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/21/16 1:47 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well you have a big decision to make & you'll have to take a long hard look at your dieting past to see if surgery is right for you. Definitely go to seminars, you can ask questions, get more info from experts in their field. Do as much research as possible b4 coming to a decision.

Try cross posting on the lightweights board. You might get some more answers from people that needed to lose weight, just not as much, which kinda sounds like the situation you're in.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Naomi S.
on 6/21/16 6:57 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

My suggestion would be to start the process. In 2009 I went through the approval process for RNY, but in the end decided that was not the procedure for me. I lost over 100lbs on my own and maintained for two years, but then the weight crept back on.

Now my insurance company covers the VSG, so I went through the process (again) to have the procedure that feels right for me. I wasn't any worse off for going through the process the first time, but I knew that procedure wasn't the right fit for me. You won't know unless you begin talking to medical professionals. 

Good luck!

Naomi

LeapSecond
on 6/22/16 2:15 pm - AR

Your post sounds like you need more information on the reasons you overeat and the surgical process.  You might want to talk to a psych doc with a specialty in eating disorders.  They are difficult to find in my area.  Overeaters Anonymous has a wealth of information that I wish I had known pre op.  I listen to their podcasts now.  I would do it over again but that is me for reasons too many to list right now.  No rush.  Find more answers for yourself.  Hope this helps.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Most Active
Recent Topics