Cheating

shcourtneyroberts
on 6/20/16 9:29 pm
VSG on 06/14/16

Hello everyone!

I got sleeved on 6/14/16! I'm excited to start this journey however, as I am in the healing process I've noticed that when consuming my "clear liquids" I do not feel a sense of restriction.  I could not take anymore broth, jello, or popsicles so I have to admit that I have tried soups that were thicker than they were supposed to be for the clear liquid stage.  I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is actual hunger or just head hunger, but it feels like actual hunger!  Is this normal?  I am so ashamed to write this in the first place cause I thought this stage would be a cinch because I assumed the I really would be that hungry considering the surgery, but maybe there is something wrong with the sleeve?  I'm waiting to hear back from my surgeon to see what he says, but I was wondering if anyone here had any input?  I start my "full liquid stage" tomorrow so I can have more items such as grits, mashed potatoes etc but I want to know how some of you faced the challenges head on.

Thanks,

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/21/16 3:01 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

The restriction kicks in when you eat denser foods (liquids just "slide" through).  Also, nerves are still healing at this point.  I'm at 3 months and still don't feel restriction with clear fluids, but I feel it really quickly with dense proteins (can't eat more than about 2.5 oz).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Grim_Traveller
on 6/21/16 5:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Grits and mashed potatoes have never been on any full liquid diet that I've ever seen.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Renren
on 6/21/16 8:16 am
VSG on 12/02/15

As soon as I came home from the hospital, I was on full Liquids (protein shakes + clear liquids) Mashed potatoes and grits are on the next stage (soft foods) at least according to my plan. There also high in carbs so I would be carefull with them.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

emelar
on 6/21/16 9:43 am - TX

You're feeling head hunger and possibly excess acid.  Your stomach will overproduce acid for a bit after surgery.  Take a pepcid and stick to your plan.  No restriction on liquids is normal - I felt exactly the same...to the point that I was convinced the surgeon didn't actually do anything but punch a bunch of holes in my abdomen.

Let your stomach heal.  Treat yourself like you would a newborn, carefully introducing any new foods.  And stick to your doctor's progression on foods - that's what you signed up for!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/21/16 4:51 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The nerves in your stomach have been severed.  You won't feel true restriction for several weeks.  Mine was around the five week mark.

Liquids will not give you any sense of satiety.  They go right through your pyloric valve.  

Are you taking a PPI?  If not, stomach acid mimics hunger, and that could be the sensation that you're feeling.  It's hard to let go of head hunger - in fact, it never goes away.  We just learn better ways to cope with it.

I would avoid grits and mashed potatoes.  They are laden with carbs, and you should be working on a protein rich diet at this point.  Carbs will hinder and slow down your weight loss.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

stefswanton
on 6/21/16 5:44 pm

I am so glad that I came across this message. I am in the beginning part of my journey. I expect to have my surgery mid August. I was worried about feeling full instantly but you are so right about the stomach being severed from other nerves and blood supply. We have to give our bodies time to heal and be willing to accept the "full" message when we get it....I think that ignoring that "full" message has gotten me to the place I am today. Thanks again for your insight.

shcourtneyroberts
on 6/21/16 8:45 pm
VSG on 06/14/16

Hey everyone! 

Thanks for the advice! I heard from my surgeon today and all is well.  He explained to me that with liquids it will feel as if there are no restrictions.  Here is what he told me:" Don't worry about any damage to your sleeve. It is very unlikely that anything you eat will actually do harm. The worse consequence is usually nausea and perhaps vomiting, but not actual damage, so no need to go to the hospital.

It is okay to have some of the things you've mentioned and it is okay to have some more if you are hungry and if it doesn't make you nauseated or vomit."

In regards to the grits and mashed potatoes they have to be a little runny, but according to my doc they are good to use in this stage.

Thanks again everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics