Kitchen Gadget Disease Chronicles: Air fryer and an upgraded Instant Pot

happyteacher
on 6/21/16 9:51 am

I am reaaaalllllyyyyy debating putting this on my next must have gadget list. I only have used the sous vide on the IP twice now, but totally sold for sure on the cooking method. What I am not sure about is if purchasing the pricey Anova will do much of anything different than what my IP can be programmed to do. I know the more fragile stuff like fish the IP has a bit too much fluctuation in temperature to do well. But my primary goal was steak. Like you I literally never could do a decent steak, and I nailed it on my first try with the IP. I will never, ever try cooking steak any other way now. Particularly because I tend to buy sirloin to keep the fat content down, and that can so easily turn to leather.

So two questions for your science brain if you don't mind.

How long do you have to hold the steak at 132 degrees to ensure the bacteria yuck is killed? For now, I am doing a Costco thick sirloin for 60 minutes, but wondering if I can do it in a little less time?

With you Anova, are you finding that you use it for more than just steak? Is it used enough to warrant buying it given I can do most things in the IP (once I write the script anyway)? I don't mind spending the money, but my kitchen storage space is a cluster muck at this point due to all my gadgets :(

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/21/16 10:09 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I go a 1" thick steak for about 60 minutes to hit medium-rare.

I actually use it for pretty much everything! Steak is the default, but it does an amazing job with salmon in particular, since I usually over-cook fish. Works well on chicken breast, too, I've never had those come out dry at all. I think I've done pork chops, those didn't need a sear and turned out well when I stuck some apple slices in the bag with the meat.

If you keep an eye out, you can get them on sale. I hit a Mother's Day sale and got the bluetooth version (not the newer one with wi-fi) for $120.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 6/21/16 10:39 am

Ohh... didn't realize you could get it for $120. I think that makes it much easier to justify. I didn't think about salmon, but I have the same problem with doing a crappy job of cooking that too. The IP is not fish friendly, so now it is worth the storage space :) Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

on 6/27/16 7:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I just got an email, they're doing a $50 off promo. That makes the wi-fi version $150!

You can go to their website and use this code: anova-ce837a32

happyteacher
on 6/27/16 8:23 am

Thanks for thinking of me. I put in a preorder on the Joule already. Paid a bit more for sure, but they have an app where you can look at the picture of how well done you want your meat, then touch that to set the program. Very helpful for someone like me that really doesn't know half the time what I am doing when it comes to meat. It is small too- fits easily in a drawer, which for my very crowded kitchen condition is super important. Only bummer is I have to wait until September, which means I can't play over the summer. 

happyteacher
on 6/22/16 5:35 am

Ok, another question if you don't mind. I was looking at bluetooth v. wifi. Wonderinfg if wifi is worth it. I was reading that, in theory, I could put the meat in an ice bath and then later in the day initiate the sous vide. This way it is ready when I get home. The only reason I am thinking wifi is being able to monitor the temp from work should the ice melt faster than anticipated so I can switch it over to sous vide and not make a germ party for dinner. Does this sound reasonable, or unlikely to work in this manner?  I work very long days typically so no idea if the ice idea would even work as a result?

on 6/22/16 6:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

How long are you at work? I have no experience with the ice idea, I'd suggest asking on Reddit at /r/sousvide. I found this post from someone who tried it, and apparently it works!

When I'm at work for the day, I do stuff that's "low and slow" like roast or ribs. If it's done an hour or two before I get home, it does a good job holding things at temp, since they can't overcook.

happyteacher
on 6/22/16 1:57 pm

Cool beans. Thanks!  I ended up putting in a preorder for the "Joule". It was $229, but it has a small profile and can fit in a drawer. It also has an app where I can pick a picture of how "done" I want something and it runs from that. Very helpful for someone like me *****ally is not very skilled at preparing meat. I really have to cut myself off though in the kitchen gadget budget department. Between the IP 2 weeks or so ago, the nifty ass whip cream maker, and this I just blew my normal yearly gadget budget :)

NYMom222
on 6/21/16 12:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Gadgets are hereditary in my family as well.... I always tell my nieces and nephews - if you are part of this family...You love a good gadget, and throw a good party. :)

Need to get up to speed on my insta-pot...bought it for the yogurt function- awesome. But got it right before my 2 surgeries, so cooking has been a little wacky. I would actually like to try pre-cooking some ribs in there to throw on the BBQ.

I have a Blendtec Blender which I love. Pre-WLS I used to do my green smoothies in there...which I don't really do anymore. I use it to mix anything, as well as often when a food processor would be used. I actually owned a Vitamix and returned it (Thank you Costco) for the Blendtec. I ran them through there paces -side by side before deciding to return the Vitamix..., and while I felt they produced an equal product...the Blentec was quicker and had a smaller footprint, which I liked.

Saw on one of the Bariatric blogs about getting one of of those whipped cream makers. I bought this one- Yummy Whipped Cream ...I like it because it fits in the fridge well(not too tall)... holds one small carton heavy cream- I lightly sweeten with torani or stevia... and makes a lot of whipped cream, and lasts in the fridge a long time. For each pint you use one charger.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

happyteacher
on 6/21/16 1:55 pm

Oh goodness, I didn't even know that a whip cream maker was even a thing. I am totally going to check that out!

Funny, I bought a Vitamix and needed a second blender (I know, right?). Didn't want to shell out that much so ended up getting the Blendtec. I far prefer my Vitamix, but with that said I agree-- they are pretty darn close. The Vitamix runs hot for soup, and the deal breaker was a better texture for smoothies. I have to revert to a liquid diet all the time so the blender thing is a very big deal for me. I do really love the preset functions on the blendtec. I was too cheap to upgrade for that on the Vitamix, but when it dies I will. Both are really very good. 

Most Active
Recent Topics