Going back to work...

Secrets224
on 6/20/16 8:16 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Hi all! I am scheduled to be sleeved on August 2nd. I am taking 2 weeks off thereafter. I work in a law firm, in my own office by myself, primarily sedentary work. I always drink water, so I don't think that part will be a problem. I have a strategy to set an alarm every hour to remind me to drink, but I'm wondering what the best approach is for getting in all of our daily requirements regarding protein while working in a busy/distracted atmosphere. Any tips from the "old pros" :)  or those who have recently returned to similar work as mine would be greatly appreciated. Anything you can suggest would be fabulous! Thanks in advance!!! :) 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/20/16 8:22 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16
On June 20, 2016 at 3:16 PM Pacific Time, Secrets224 wrote:

Hi all! I am scheduled to be sleeved on August 2nd. I am taking 2 weeks off thereafter. I work in a law firm, in my own office by myself, primarily sedentary work. I always drink water, so I don't think that part will be a problem. I have a strategy to set an alarm every hour to remind me to drink, but I'm wondering what the best approach is for getting in all of our daily requirements regarding protein while working in a busy/distracted atmosphere. Any tips from the "old pros" :)  or those who have recently returned to similar work as mine would be greatly appreciated. Anything you can suggest would be fabulous! Thanks in advance!!! :) 

I found that the beginning after surgery was easier for me to get in my protein than now (4 weeks post op). At first it was mostly all shakes, or broth w/ unflavored protein. Once  I moved to solids, I can only get in 1oz or so before I get super full. 

Two weeks is plenty of time to get back to work, I was back in 5 days and had no issues really. I was basically recovered as far as walking/moving around at around 9 days post op

Look into some unflavored protein though, can add to any liquid. Changes the color but not the taste really at all. I LOVE it still in some warmed up chicken broth.

Some people here have bought Nalgene bottles with markings on them for how much to drink each hour for water, I bought big RTIC tumblers (30oz) and I try to drink one full one from when I leave the house at 730 to before I go home for lunch at noon, and again finish one more by dinner time.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Secrets224
on 6/20/16 8:27 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Hi! Congratulations on your surgery and weight loss. Those are all good suggestions. I will definitely write those down!!! :) 

Courage2Enjoy
on 6/20/16 8:26 am
VSG on 04/28/16

Congrats on your scheduled surgery!  Mine was 4/28/16.  I took one week off of work and then worked from home the 2nd week.  The first week was the hardest for me.  I was dehydrated and just weak.  Once I was able to introduce my shakes and creamy soups I perked up.  Setting your reminders will be key.  The best for me was to do my protein shakes at work.  I drank two while there (bkfast/lunch) and water 30 minutes after each until it was time to stop.  I focused on 'eating' my soups at home.  You'll find what works for you but sip on water as much as you can.  Premier Protein is 30 g of protein so at work I'd have at least 60 before I was home.  I also do Lift by Atkins which is a protein drink and goes down almost like water and has 20 g of protein.  Adding those three drinks will have your daily amount covered and you could still have your soup later! :)  Good luck

Secrets224
on 6/20/16 8:40 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Hi! Thank you for your tips! Congrats on your surgery and weight loss as well! I have already introduced the Premier Protein shakes into my diet and found all different recipes to change them up and use them as a great source of protein. They are delicious and don't have any aftertaste. I was thinking of just keeping it down to shakes at work and eat at home so I could focus on what I was doing and have control of it while I could sit down and eat a meal with the family. I will likely just stick with that for quite a while. And fortunately, those shakes fill me up and don't bother me one bit, so shouldn't be a problem! Thanks!!!! 

Tracy D.
on 6/20/16 12:33 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Since you have your own office this isn't going to be difficult.  Pre-pack a lunch bag that keeps things cold and bring your yogurt, cheese sticks, jerky, nuts, etc. (of course, only when you're allowed to eat these things).  

In the beginning it's a lot of shakes and broth so keep the shakes in the cooler bag and put the broth in a thermos.  

You got this! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Secrets224
on 6/20/16 12:48 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Thank you so much for your tips and encouragement! I definitely will do that and we have a small refrigerator in the office also, so i can keep my shakes ice cold as I do that already now. And we always have ho****er for making tea/broth. I have been looking for a wide cooler lunch bag to keep my lunch and snacks when the "eating" time arrives. Just looking for that bag that can hold the ice packs and food containers. :) Thanks again!! 

LuluDavisFlorida
on 6/21/16 11:00 am
VSG on 11/18/13

I was 68 when sleeved, and walked the mall four days after surgery.  I didn't need any reminders to drink, just sipped slow all day and always took my food with me to work.  It will be so easy not worrying about things if you just pack ahead!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics