Starting to freak out a bit - surgery tomorrow.

jodieg8er
on 6/15/16 7:59 am
VSG on 06/16/16

I am going in for surgery tomorrow!  I was so excited but now I am getting scared.  I have been reading all the posts and I am starting to doubt myself and my ability to do this.  I had my gall bladder out several years ago and I have to admit, I am a big baby.  I was miserable.  I know the same incisions are going to be made and I am really nervous. 

I am also really scared about getting enough protein.  My stomach is probably the weakest part of my body - I get nauseous really easy and for the last 10 years I have had terrible GERD on and off.  When I drink water, my GERD gets worse.  I am lactose intolerant so the milk products don't sit well with me - including the whey in the shakes.  Last but not least, my stomach doesn't do well with artificial sweeteners.  I think I have found enough protein drinks that don't have whey or sweeteners in them, but I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that had a stomach like mine before the surgery?  I am hoping after the surgery maybe some of these things will go away, but I am frightened they will get worse. 

I realize that my mind is doing the crazy talk thing, but I really need some reassurance at this moment!

Thank you in advanced for any help.

Jodie

Anita
on 6/15/16 8:10 am

Hi Jodie,

My surgery was last Monday (June 6) and all the things you are describing about how you feel emotionally is exactly what I was feeling. I doubted, questioned, freaked out a little, had second and third thoughts and all those other emotions.....I think everyone has that. I just kept telling myself that it was pre-op jitters.

So, without trying to talk you in or out of this............it seems that everyone goes through the same emotions, so you aren't alone in that. The first few hours and days it appears that everyone feels like garbage and continues to second guess themselves, so you aren't alone in that either. For me, my surgery was on Monday, I went home from the hospital on Wednesday and when I woke up on Thursday morning, my first thought was.....Hey...I'm human again - I CAN do this. Since then, I've been feeling better and better....still have to take things a little slower than I'd like, but all systems are go and I'm working on regaining my stamina and strength. Being 70, things tend to not recover as quickly, so I have to apply some patience here.

I can't address your other issues because I don't have those problems and if I say try this or try that, I'm really just guessing, so the best thing is to work with your medical team to resolve those.

Either way, good luck with your surgery and let us know when you're able to communicate.......that's when we'll officially welcome you to the Loser's Bench.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

happyteacher
on 6/15/16 8:17 am

I had stomach issues prior to surgery- terrible gerd, vomiting type stuff. I was not lactose intolerant though. Don't back out It is perfectly normal to be nervous going into surgery. There will be a recovery period, but it will only be a small blip on the radar 6 months out. The improvement in the quality of life makes it incredibly worth it. They might find a hernia that needs repair during surgery as well, which could take care of the gerd you are experiencing. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ConnieC417
on 6/15/16 2:21 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

Stay excited, and don't let your head get the better of you. I am only 3 weeks post-op VSG and I would do it over again 100 times. I had to take medicine for nausea, and the pain meds made the nausea worse, so that was a reality for me to deal with. Push through it! Walk a LOT, sip fluids slowly, don't worry about protein yet--you'll get there. Most important thing post-op is fluid intake. Discuss your concerns with your medical team; they will have solutions for you!  Good luck, and best wishes on the Loser's Bench!!

Connie

We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another...

jodieg8er
on 6/18/16 9:33 am
VSG on 06/16/16

Two days past operation and I feel great!  I didn't get nauseated at all.  The worst parts for me as the gas you have to work out of you and the fact that they won't let you drink anything for like 36 hours - my throat was so sore.  But I am home now and I feel fabulous!

Jodie M.

• Surgery June 16, 2016 - Dr. Seth Judd
  • Before:  251 Pounds, 5'7"
Most Active
Recent Topics