Some people just don't get it.

McLassie
on 6/12/16 11:02 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Yeah... Weigh****chers. It's a great tool. I've tried it like ten times. I tried it when I was 19 years old and weighed 141 lbs. I tried it when I was 26 years old and 185 lbs. I tried it when I was 30 and weighed 244 lbs. It's just great. 

People are clueless.

Chiyo
on 6/12/16 3:36 pm - Rutherford, NJ

I think people are scared of the unknown and so they express negative thoughts.  When I told my mother and sister I was researching VSG because I am thinking of getting it done, they both responded "Oh no...don't do that.  It's not good for you".  How would they know?  They both have never done it?!

If you're not happy with how you look and feel and you have the means to change it, why not?  Who cares what other people say?  You're doing this for yourself, not for them.  At the end of the day, it's all about you.  The next person that tells me not to get a VSG, I will ask them "why not?" and see what they have to say.  Chances are, they won't have much to say other than their own opinions that is baseless.

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 12:01 pm
On June 12, 2016 at 3:06 AM Pacific Time, McLassie wrote:

Just venting, but I got my surgery date yesterday (July 25th - yay!) and now that it's becoming a reality, I'm starting to tell more people. I was hanging out with a couple friends and a couple people I don't really know tonight, and against my better judgement, I told my friend who didn't know yet. I preferred not to say anything in front of a couple strangers, but my other friend who did know already spilled the beans and I verified it. I should have just said, "I'll talk to you about it later."

One of the ladies at the table smiled and said, "Have you tried the cabbage diet?" 

UGH! REALLY?!

Then she went on to talk about someone she knew who had "it" done (obviously not the VSG) years ago and gained all the weight back. Then she started asking me if I've been on specific other diets. 

What's the best thing to say to these people? What dumb things have people said to you?

Nothing.

Because you probably felt that way at some point as well.  We are not all ready for surgery, some need more time.

McLassie
on 6/12/16 1:08 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

That's true. It took a long time to get to this point. 

happyteacher
on 6/12/16 3:28 pm

Sometimes I swear that everyone has a friend, auntie, cousin- you name it. They have some take on whatever your medical condition might be. Probably the most recent thing that ticked me off was my sister asking me to raise my blouse in front of a room full of women so everyone could see how my breast implants were doing. Totally ****ty. I ended up doing it because I knew the women in the room would totally give her crap for it once I left the room. Weight wise, the most annoying was a colleague positively making my new eating habits her favorite hobby and reason to muster up some drama. In general though, I found most were simply interested in how I lost weight and/or complimenting the weight loss.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ubserved
on 6/12/16 11:22 pm

I am probably one of the least PC people on here. Who cares what they think? What you think as it applies to you is what matters. Their approval or anyone else's doesn't matter. 

WatchKittyShrink
on 6/13/16 5:01 am
VSG on 06/15/16

I haven't told many people yet, because of this very reason!

I hate when people say have you tried such and such diet? 1. Its none of their business. 2. Do they really think cutting our stomachs out was our FIRST option? Yes we've tried the diets, no they haven't worked.

Looks like you have a lot of great advice from others on these replies, going to read some and take the suggestions for myself as well!

cnanny
on 6/13/16 6:53 am

I totally get where you are coming from! It's so damn annoying! I have a friend now who, when we discuss how much weight I have lost pre-op (approx. 37lbs), questions if I should still go through with the surgery.  I just get tired of justifying my decision.  I've lost and gained so much weight over the years, if I could get to my goal weight and keep it off without surgery don't people get I would have done that by now?! Ugh. I do chalk a lot of the negativity up to jealousy though.  Many people want to make a change in their lives but very few make the commitment to go through with it and stick to it like we do.  Oh well, their loss.  I'm doing this for me and no one else!

Hope things get better for you and good luck with surgery and recovery!

Chelsy

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/14/16 7:26 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I've found it interesting that when I told people before the surgery I heard the same comments you all mention.  Now post-surgery and having lost around 65 pounds, when I tell people how I did it there is significantly less criticism. Hmmm...

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

ConnieC417
on 6/15/16 2:41 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

My surgeon explained to me that once a person's BMI exceeds 30-35, their metabolism just doesn't work the way it should. It makes obesity a disease for some people, especially those who have tried every diet and exercise gimmick on the planet. Sooooo, you can tell them to mind their own business, or you can explain a little further if you care about the person asking. I struggled for so long, and honestly, if surgery had been an option for me 10 years ago I would have jumped on it. I am so blessed to have this powerful tool to help me lose the weight, (notice I didn't say anything about it being easy? haha) and he or she who doesn't like it can take a flying leap. Best of wishes to you on your journey, and remember, it's YOUR body, and YOUR choice. Don't feel the need to justify it to anyone! 

We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another...

Most Active
Recent Topics