Sleeve'd again

HoldenTX
on 6/11/16 6:14 pm
VSG on 05/31/16

Here's some background:

I had my original sleeve done in 2009.  It went very well and I almost reached my normal BMI weight (which I learnt is very slim!).  Overall I went from about 365lbs to 202lbs at my lowest.  Life was good and I found myself able to hover around the 220lbs mark for a while (which was my original goal when I started this).

But then a few years ago life happened, I changed jobs and started to travel a lot.  Eating and drinking are part of the travelling lifestyle and I let things get out of hand.  I'd put back on another 50 pounds and it was not slowing down.  (I really didn't feel much constriction anymore)

So I decided to get my sleeve redone.  I did some upper GI tests which confirmed my stomach had stretched to 50% of its original size - although my food choices were also certainly to blame in addition to the extra quantities I was eating.

So here I am - 11 days post-op.  This time around has been much harder to adjust that the first time I did this.  The first time I had surgery I had no issue getting my liquids down but had painful incisions.  This time around I have barely noticed the incisions, but have had a real hard time getting in my liquids.  If I get in 30z even 11 days out I am doing well.  Yesterday I had to visit the ER to get some IV since the dehydration caught up to me.

Luckily getting IV is a non-event - just show up and wait for the bags to empty.  It really helped though - I left feeling full of energy and today the liquids seem a bit easier to ingest (although I am nowhere near 64oz yet).  Hopefully this phase will pass soon!

That's my story.  By the way, there doesn't seem to be a consistent term used for getting your sleeve redone.  Some people call it a revision, some say re-sleeve and some just say getting a new sleeve.  I originally was a member of a VSG forum the first time around, but I can't remember which one it was so this will be my new home for a while!

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/16 6:42 pm - CA

Welcome to OH!   There are a lot of great people here and you'll find the VSG forum helpful, I'm sure.  I'm an RNY post op, but have experienced regain at 12 yrs post op after caring for my ailing parents and losing them back to back.  I'm working on losing my regain, it gets harder the farther you are out.  

Best of luck to you!  Take this second chance and run.   ?

~Nik

Kelly L.
on 6/11/16 7:26 pm

Congrats on being re-sleeved!   Welcome to OH, you will find everyone informative and supportive here.  

HoldenTX
on 6/12/16 10:13 am
VSG on 05/31/16

Thank you both for the welcome.  I've been lurking for a few weeks and have found a lot of the conversations very helpful.

I thought I was having a good morning getting liquid down and then unfortunately had some rambunctious kids decide to jump on my stomach :(  For me that is probably the hardest thing right now...I am doing my best when I can sit away on my own without the stress of kids around me.  But that isn't very fair on my wife!

My 2 y.o. doesn't understand why I wont pick him up anymore (he likes to run up to me and have me pick him up in the air)- so has become a bit emotional.  Hopefully he'll forget it all when I am allowed to lift things again.

As you guys say...just keep sipping.

Every day is better than before :)

mylastchance
on 6/12/16 10:51 am

Yay for you!!!  Welcome and I'll be watching for all your updates of your journey.  Good luck and good losing!!

Yipee for being a LOSER!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

TKCAN
on 6/12/16 7:28 pm

This post really scares me.... I am 3.5 months vsg post op. I  was 236 before surgery, I'm down to 176, 60 pounds down. I knew that your  stomach stretches as your sleeve  matures but to know that you can stretch it by 50%... Wow!! I'm shocked. Good luck on your re- sleeve and thank you for your post, it is an eye opener for me. I am really going to be carefull. My family was  against my surgery and I don't want to gain the weight back and have them look at me like I told you so. I know this is only a tool, and I think I have done well so far.

HoldenTX
on 6/13/16 8:24 pm
VSG on 05/31/16

Just like many others on here have pointed out, the sleeve is a tool to help with your problem - not a cure.  I was good for a long time - much longer than I ever had been trying regular dieting, but eventually let myself go back to bad habits.  I have been able to give myself a 2nd chance to get back on track and get my lifestyle where it needs to be.  

If you enjoy your weight loss and all the good feelings that come with it, then that is strong motivation to keep on track.  

FuturePinUp
on 6/14/16 6:35 am

Don't let it scare you. Your remaining stomach has a very, very small likelihood of stretching, after it matures. It would take repeatedly abusing it (and eating over the comfortable amount), over a long period of time. And even so, I've only seen it happen with people whose sleeves were made larger than usual, from the get-go.

With that being said, of course, you can regain and regain is almost always attributed to habits and not a physical defect with the sleeve itself.

Fantastic loss by the way!! Looks like you've been using your tool to the max!! 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Recent Topics