Self-Pay - Lap Band Revision

BelleKreyol
on 6/11/16 2:47 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board. I was banded in 2008 with Dr. Gorecki in New York. I was very successful with my WLS. I lost 83lbs, from my highest of 230 to 147lbs. I just had a baby (15 months), and my band slipped with moderate dilatation. I need to have my band removed. I am thinking of doing a gastric sleeve since restriction seems to work well for me. I am up to 194lbs, and am doing my best to not climb any higher, but know that will be difficult.

It looks like I will have to self pay since I am out of the country.  I was considering the Dominican Rep, but got a quote for $15k.  So I am back to the drawing board. Do I wait until I get a better insurance coverage and go back to my original surgeon in NY?   Do I travel to Mexico and self-pay? 

Best,

Belle

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/11/16 7:28 am

If it were me- I would try to get the band out ASAP.   The more it stays in - the more damage it can cause. 

If you can afford - Mexico would be my choice. Qualified - good doc who knows and does a lot of revisions... I would pay more to have someone really good doing surgery. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Anita
on 6/11/16 8:38 am

see if you can get coverage based upon a "failed"band

I had my band removed in March and had my sleeve surgery this past Monday. Feeling really good!

Good luck....sorry I cannot be more help.....and congrats on the baby!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

-Flo-
on 6/12/16 3:01 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Try Dr. Shillingford in Florida. He did my band to sleeve revision with a 2 night hospital stay included for 10k. He was wicked nice too. 

Sandra F.
on 6/13/16 6:37 am

I didn't have a revision, only the sleeve, but I used Dr. Fernando Garcia of Tijuana Bariatrics and he did an excellent job.  His pricing was very reasonable, but I had it 18 months ago.  Good luck to you, whomever you choose.

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/16 10:17 am

Dr. Juan Arellano in Mexicali, Mexico.  He is board certified in bariatric surgery unlike most surgeons in Tijuana and he does band removals for cost only. He is also the president of the Mexican College for Bariatric Surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics