Second day home... this is REALLY hard!!

Theduffman27
on 6/10/16 7:50 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Just a tip that worked for me. I could tolerate room temperature fluids more so than cold fluids, so I would have a glass ready at all times and just force myself to sip. I did it slowly, but steadily. I came home on a Friday morning and my wife and kids had to leave that afternoon for a Hockey Tourney. I was home all weekend by myself with the Dog. I think this helped as well as I had no distractions and I was able to take it easy, drink slowly and just relax after surgery. As others have stated, fluid is the most important piece at this time. It does get better. Congrats!

emelar
on 6/10/16 8:27 am - TX

The hernia repair is going to make recovery a little harder.  Work on your liquids.  If you get in some protein along the way, great.  But really push the liquids as much as you comfortably can.  I'll improve every day.

Giggles7840
on 6/10/16 11:10 am, edited 6/10/16 4:11 am
VSG on 05/19/16

DUDE I woke up thinking WTF have i done. They never got my pain under control before they released me and my doc sent me home with Tylenol 3. I was back in the ER the next day because the pain was so bad, I eventually got some dilaudid and he sent me home with hydocodone. Then i developed and upper respiratory infection and sinus infection (unrelated to surgery) by Saturday. Day 3 was better and then it gets better from there.. Just take all the pain meds you can and try to sleep as much as you can. Take all the gas ex and walk when you are awake. It was literally the worst pain in my entire life. My friend who had bypass stayed with me and she just kept telling me that she knew and that it would get better even though it didnt seem like it. It's very difficult to believe. It will get better. My doc and nutritional lady said dont worry about protein. just sip on water as you can. just focus on pain meds and sleeping. water and walking when you are awake. i dont even know how you are getting protein down. I could barely get  water  down.

Giggles7840
on 6/10/16 11:11 am
VSG on 05/19/16

oh and i actually had a better time getting warm water down. try that.

Renren
on 6/10/16 11:15 am
VSG on 12/02/15

You might also try drinking your water warm/hot. I couldn't swallow cold liquids very easy for a while after my surgery   

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Luvmygs
on 6/10/16 1:38 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

We all know to well that feeling. I believe my exact words a few days after surgery was "what _ _ ck was I thinking!!!" The first few weeks are the worst part of this journey. But that too shall pass and you'll start feeling amazing. It took me about 2 weeks to finish 1 protein drink. The main thing to concentrate is water. Make sure your sipping water every 2-3 minutes. You don't want to get dehydrated. Water is definitely more important than water at your stage. I'm 18 months post op and all that I went through in the beginning was SO worth every pain and complaint. BEST thing I ever did for myself. Hang-in-there, you'll get there. Christine

Lisa F.
on 6/10/16 3:13 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

Thanks all so much for the replies and kind words. It's so incredibly helpful and appreciated!

I was really tired today...I felt like I had taken a step backward from yesterday. I spoke to my doctor and she said it was because I didn't get enough fluids in yesterday.

Today was better... I slept most of the day, but managed to get in 48 oz of water and 37 g of protein so far, so if I keep at it, I'll be on track before I go to bed. I'm definitely able to swallow more volume in each sip than yesterday.

Genie03
on 6/10/16 4:51 pm
VSG on 05/10/16

Congratulations on your Sugery and I wish you a speedy recovery. Have you tried the wylers aspartame free drink mix? That or Power ade zero were the two things that helped me to reach my fluid goal after surgery.

cconroy55
on 6/13/16 2:19 pm

My doctor gave me a bunch of those little 1 ounce cups that they use in the hospital to give you your pills.  I had to drink 3 every hour to get my recommended post-op fluid.  Seemed somehow easier to face one of those little cups every 20 minutes rather than thinking about the whole 42 ounces.  After I finished each one I also took a walk around the first floor of the house (had to get that walking in too, to get rid of the gas) I also found regular water to be difficult, but smar****er was easier (for some reason) and also enjoyed diet snapple and watered-down vitaminwater zero.  All was easier at room temperature.  Good luck - and keep sipping.  btw my doctor didn't even bother having me start protein until day 5 post-op.

ConnieC417
on 6/15/16 2:51 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

I am just now getting there...go easy on yourself.  It gets easier, and I definitely thought I was on my deathbed for a couple of days. I think buyer's remorse is common! Just keep all of your post-op appointments and hang in there! Good Luck!!

We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another...

Most Active
Recent Topics