Presents! - need ideas

Celesteeel
on 6/7/16 8:19 pm

I'm about 80% through my work up testing and appointments, hoping for a fall surgery date. In the meantime I'm learning all I can and thinking about prepping as much as possible for the early post-op period. I understand it can be very emotionally difficult, so I thought I'd wrap up boxes for myself to open every couple of days, to give me a little lift and something to look forward to.

I thought I'd put this out there to this group for ideas of things to include. I'm thinking of things like journal worksheets in different colors, fun pens, lip balm, balloons, used books and DVDs, water flavor drops ...

I hope if I do it far enough in advance I'll forget what's in there :-)

Thanks!

katblue
on 6/8/16 3:38 am, edited 6/7/16 8:39 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

Just thought I'd weigh in here - pun intended ;)  Relax, speaking for myself, the early post op was not emotionally difficult at all. What was emotionally difficult was the 20 years I tried unsuccessfully to lose the weight, the emotional battle I fought year after year, the downward spiral and self disgust I that I struggled with all those years.  Once I decided to have the surgery, I had a plan, and although I am just a couple months post op, its working! I'm almost halfway to my goal.  The surgery was the easiest I've been through - simply follow your doctor's instructions and stay connected in this online forum.  The only other piece of advice...Focus on those in this forum who have enjoyed the success you want to have and mimic their behavior. For example, I noticed that people who share their numbers track calories, carbs, protein and water.  So that's what I've done - stay focused on your goal...and you'll do great!  

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

cappy11448
on 6/8/16 4:53 am

I think this is a great idea.  I'd aim for things that would keep me busy and keep me from thinking about food so much.  I like to knit, so new knitting patterns, new materials that would spark some creativity.  Maybe one of those adult coloring books or puzzle books.  I watched a lot of the teaching company classes on history, travel, geology and religion - which I enjoyed.  These get pricey, though.   (I buy them only when they have the 70% off sale, and they are still price.)

My greatest challenge was not eating in the evening, and it helped to have something to keep my hands busy while I watched tv.

I think its great that you are looking for ways to take care of yourself as you start this process.

best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Bufflehead
on 6/8/16 5:37 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I second the recommendation for Teaching Company lectures -- I love them! Tips for cheapskates like me, I have found I can get them used for very cheap on EBay, and my library has over 200 Teaching Company lecture series in a variety of formats which I can check out for free (clearly this would not be something you could wrap up in a box for yourself for months though!).

I got myself some new games, books, and tv series/movie dvd's for the recovery period. I really enjoyed them even though they were not wrapped up as presents. I was one of those people that really didn't have a tough time, either physically or emotionally, in recovery. To the OP, keep in mind that not everyone is miserable and hormonal after surgery -- you may be, but you might also not be. I was really pretty thrilled that what I had worked so long and so hard for had finally come through and I was on my way to a healthier and happier life.

During weight loss, I would buy myself a fancy new OPI gel color when I hit significant milestones, and take them in to my manicurist for a mani/pedi. I would also allow myself to go to one of the charity websites where you pick a project and make a small donation to help fund it, like donorschoose.org or kiva.org, and make a contribution. That helped me stay not so entirely self-centered and I really loved doing it. If you are so inclined, you could print out some gift cards for a site like that and wrap them up, then let yourself cash them in and make a donation to a project that has a special meaning for you.

alouisa63
on 6/8/16 8:28 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

In the beginning I was happy with my coloring book and pencils - it kept my mind busy and was very relaxing.  As I progressed I got myself things for personal goals met: 75#'s a new top not from Goodwill - 100#'s a facial (my first ever and OMG was it great!).  Still working up the courage for a massage....

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Linds9
on 6/8/16 5:31 pm
VSG on 01/19/16

So something that someone had given me a few day after surgery was wireless beats (head phones with no cord) which got me excited to work out. By the way working out with head phones without a cord is a different experience, you do not realize how in the way the wire is until you do not have one any more. They are kind of expensive but I found them to be a big motivator for myself and looked forward to using them. 

SassyAmy
on 6/10/16 6:12 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I would recommend things that will take your mind of off how crummy you might feel (I didn't feel awful, but I know some people do), how hungry/frustrated you are with the few things you'll be able to eat, etc. Coloring books, regular books, movies, and video games spring to mind!

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics