Surgery yesterdy

Lisa F.
on 6/7/16 6:15 pm, edited 6/7/16 6:17 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

Hi all -

I just got home from surgery yesterday. I almost stayed an extra night since I can't tolerate any liquids. Every time I take the smallest sip, I can swallow fine, but I get horrible gas and burning pains when the liquid hits my stomach. I also can't burp...the air comes up into my esophagus but it can extract the whole way and gurgles back down.

I also had a hiatal hernia repaired so I'm sure this is complicating things.

The doctor told me it would get better day by day, and I have to believe it will, but I'm really scared.

Anyone have a similar experience right after surgery?

obioxiupa
on 6/7/16 6:27 pm

Not quite as severe as you describe but I could only take the smallest sips and it felt like a ball going down.  You have to get fluids or you'll end up back at the hospital.  Have you tried sucking on ice?  Fluid of different temps?  Hot tea felt good to me.  How about jello?

i felt better each day (days 3/4) were pretty bad then much better by day 6/7.

Figure out how you can get it down then make it your job - sip sip sip.

good luck!

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

Kelly L.
on 6/7/16 7:05 pm

You might be able to tolerate popsicles, I used them early out.   It sounds like you still have a lot of swelling.  Are you on a PPI?   It helps greatly.   I hope you get better soon, and welcome to the losers bench!! 

mylastchance
on 6/7/16 7:05 pm

I am sure your Dr. wouldn't have let you come home if he didn't feel you'd be okay.  Very small sips and keep at it.  Hang in there I'm sure things will work out for you.  Keep us posted on your progress and I'll be watching for good news from you.

Wishing you the best and welcome to the world of Losers 

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

CMR1075
on 6/7/16 8:09 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Oh boy did I have the same issue with having to have a hernia repair.  My chest hurt when I swallowed anything and same issue with the burp thing, but the Dr said it was normal and not to stress. I did have horrible gas into my shoulder for about 5 days but it finally subsided after I got out and walked around Target for like 2 hours (See, shopping really can be therapy lol). I did have to take my heartburn medication too for some relief. I didn't find Gas-X to work for me like it did for others, but try it and see if it helps. 

Hope this relieves your fears!

P goode
on 6/8/16 6:24 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

No hernia issues for me, but the burning was awful for at least 3 days when any liquid went down. It was from irritation/inflammation and will subside. I got otc lansoprazole(ppi)and opened up the capsule. I slowly took the granules and after a day the burning was so much better. I stopped taking it after a few days and have been fine since. You do need to sip and warm liquids or room temp was best for me so try that. It will improve day by day.

P

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Theduffman27
on 6/8/16 12:28 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

I did not have a hernia repair, nor experience any burning or gas. One tip to try is room temperature liquids. I was only able to tolerate room temp liquids post op and had no issues with spasms or pain. congrats on having your surgery, enjoy the ride.

Most Active
Recent Topics