New VGS

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/7/16 12:49 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I can't help you with the coffee question.  Maybe you can check with your surgeon's office?  My gut instinct is to tell you to hold off on drinking coffee.  It's not just the caffeine, but the acid in coffee that could wreak havoc with your new sleeve.   Fresh sleeves are still generating stomach acids in a newly created limited space.  That's why many surgeons prescribe a strong PPI to control the acid and prevent problems with GERD.

I think you'll find this an extremely informative and supportive site.  Some people have issues when they are told the truth. They become defensive and don't listen to the advice of the vets.  Don't fall into that trap.  The vets have been through EVERYTHING and know of what they speak.  Listen, learn and don't think you know everything at 10 days post op  

I didn't have drains.  It's interesting that you do.  Maybe because you're a revision.

Only last thing - it's called a VSG, not a VGS.  Minor point, but good to know.  

Hang in there.  It gets so much better.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ARP55
on 6/7/16 2:16 pm
VSG on 06/07/16

Thanks for the information. I am lucky to have not had any acid reflux post op. I will continue to wait on drinking a coffee, even if it is a decaf. 

Is it possible to drink too much drink the clear liquid diet in your opinion? 

I am drinking water, jello, and some broth. I can have at least 250mL.

i feel so swollen and bloated.!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/7/16 3:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's pretty common to feel bloated. Anesthesia does funny things, plus many surgeons will inflate your abdomen with gas to give them room to perform the operation. Walk as much as you can, and gas-X is often helpful (check with your surgeon if in doubt). It'll go away soon, but it's definitely frustrating at first!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jenorama
on 6/7/16 3:19 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I would avoid coffee right now while you're healing.  As others mentioned, even decaf has quite a bit of acid in it.  My program even advised taking it easy on tomatoes for a while.  Give yourself until you've made the transition to mushies before you even try decaf. It's going to be tough, but you can do it!  Also, be aware that light roasts have more acid than dark, so I hope you like dark roast coffee!

A word of advice regarding caffeine.  I myself am an RNY person and my surgery was in late 2013.  By last year, I had developed a bit of a transfer addiction to coffee and would have 3 to 5 a day.  For some people, that's not a lot, but it was a definite uptick for me.  I started experiencing severe pain that to me felt like gas pain.  It would come, last for a few hours and then go away and it was like nothing had ever happened.  Finally, I had an incident bad enough to send me to the urgent care. Nothing conclusive was found there, but a subsequent visit to my PCP indicated gastritis brought on by too much caffeine.  This could have developed into a full blown ulcer which is very dangerous to an RNY person because the ulcer could occur in the blind stomach which can be complicated to diagnose and treat.  So please be aware of how your body feels after you try something new.  It took way too long for me to figure out the connection and could have developed into a dangerous situation.  I now limit my intake to two coffee drinks a day and I haven't had any problems in a year.  :D

Good luck to you on your journey!

Jen

on 6/7/16 3:47 pm, edited 6/7/16 8:48 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Ugh.  I did not drink coffee before surgery at all.  Coffee wasn't my thing.  I didn't drink it for almost 18 months post surgery.

I have now become a coffee junkie.  I have two huge cups per day.   Funny how we transfer our addictions, eh?

jenorama
on 6/7/16 3:49 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I know, right?  A big coffee day for me is three and I try not to do that too often.  I make allowances for a road trip (gotta stay awake!) and even then, I carry a small bottle of Prilosec with me.  Argh, when did I get old???

Jen

NHPOD9
on 6/7/16 5:52 pm

Interesting. I never drank coffee before surgery and now when I wake, one of my first thoughts involves obtaining some. However, I never considered it as a transfer behavior, but related to a change in tastes. You've given me something to ponder.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

crqvingchange
on 6/8/16 2:01 am

I definitely have a transfer addiction with coffee.  I'm also an RNY. During the day I will easily drink 6-8 large coffees.  I try to stick to decaf, and haven't noticed missing the caffeine.  My regular Starbucks order is a Trenta decaf iced Americano with sugar free cinnamon dolce and nonfat milk (I will have 4 of those a day - 120 oz., then smaller cups of decaf at home). Coffee has become my comfort food, but also a way to get in my fluids.  Post WLS I dislike plain water, but loved it before.

This is so interesting to see I'm one of many that developed a monster coffee habit after surgery. 

on 6/7/16 3:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

No, you can't drink too many fluids after surgery.  It will not stretch your sleeve.  You need to stay hydrated, so don't cut back on the fluids.

Most people have problems because your new sleeve can only handle small quantities of fluids.  My surgeon told me I needed 64 ounces at a MINIMUM every day.  I had to take small sips all day long to meet that goal.  Water, jello and broth all count towards your fluid intake.

If you don't drink fluids, you might retain water.  I know it's a pain in the ass after surgery with the swelling, bloating, gas, etc., but it will subside.  

ARP55
on 6/7/16 8:38 pm
VSG on 06/07/16

Thanks very much for your response. I have been worried I've been taking in too many liquids either in quantity or timeliness. I can have my isopure protein in one sitting without feeling uncomfortable. It's gotten better as each day passes with my clear fluid diet.

i still have this nagging pain in my right upper quadrant - it is localized and worsens with ins inspiration and/or twisting movements. I am thinking I pulled on an internal stitch?

i have noticed I have had a lot of gas and peristalsis today. One more day of clear fluids then onto full. 

Any my tips with the transition? 

Most Active
Recent Topics