New VGS

ARP55
on 6/7/16 9:27 am
VSG on 06/07/16

Hello,

i had VGS done on June 1 in a different location than where I live, Mexico in fact. I understand the need for a support group, are there any available on this site? 

I am a revision patient who had my lap band removed in March of this year. Within the first month I had gained nearly 20 lbs and my relationship with food was warped. 

I have had no hunger thus far (day 6 post op). I did move around too much and I am paying for it today. Lesson learned. 

I understand caffiene is not suitable post op but has anyone had decaf coffee? I asked my doctor when I was 2 days post op and he was hesitant to say I could drink decaf. I may wait until I am on full fluids (a few days) then try.

how was everyone else's experience?

i am also still covering my incision from my drain but I believe this is slowing the healing process by keeping it moist. When did you leave your incision from the drain open to air? 

The he staff said 3 days post but that felt too soon. 

Thanks in advance! 

My family MD here in Canada was NOT supportive of my decision to get VGS. He called it, F$&#'n crazy. So my support at home is slim which is why I am reaching out. 

thanks everyone in advance. If you have any tips about VGS journey please share! :) 

mmsmom
on 6/7/16 9:55 am - Woburn, MA

I revised from band to sleeve in Feb/April 2014.  Best decision I ever made.  I LOVE the sleeve.  The beginning is a little difficult - swelling healing, etc, but 2 years down the road, I am 99% happy with a few fleeting moments of missing subs or a dish of pasta.  Then I put on my size 6 pants and am reminded of why this makes me so happy.

VSG on 04/28/2014

ARP55
on 6/7/16 10:42 am
VSG on 06/07/16

Oh good to hear. Thank you for your response. I am scared of stretching my new stomach. Is it possible to drink too much or have too much jello during the clear liquid phase? 

When did did you introduce coffee into your diet? I'm craving even a decaf. 

Day 6 post op and I feel ok. I've had previous surgeries and revisions to my lap band and port relocation and then removal. I do feel well in comparison to the rest but I have a pain in my right upper quadrant. I did dishes and cleaned a bit yesterday and learned not to do that. I'm sore and am afraid I may have given myself another hernia. The dr repaired a 2 inch hernia during my sleeve surgery.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/7/16 3:07 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Liquid slips right through your sleeve, it's pretty much impossible to drink too much water.

Jello will dissolve pretty rapidly, but it's best to play it safe and have it in small amounts.

It's fairly common to have soreness in different spots in the first two weeks, since there are lots of internal suture knots. Mine was especially bad near my bellybutton on my right side, which the surgeon said is common because that's a complicated stitch in several layers of tissue. Tylenol and a heat pack can help, but if you're worried make sure to ask at your followup.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

SilverGirl2015
on 6/7/16 10:24 am

I went to Mexico too - surgery date was 8-1-15.  I got the @&$;() crazy bit too - from almost everyone - but it was the best decision I ever made!  No regrets at all.  There is a ton of geat info and support on this site.  I log in daily for support and reassurance, suggestions etc. welcome, and all the best to you on your weightloss journey!

ARP55
on 6/7/16 10:44 am
VSG on 06/07/16

What did you have done? I am day 6 post op and pretty sore. I'm taking isopure protein shakes with crushed ice and water daily. I've also began my vitamin regime. When did you begin taking vitamins post op?

when did you introduce caffiene? 

SilverGirl2015
on 6/7/16 12:06 pm

I started chewable vitamins within a few days of surgery - when I got home.  I had VSG. As far as caffeine goes... I had a Starbucks latte (fat free)on day two or day three- nothing ever tasted so good to me!  My incisions healed well but I had issues with all kinds of adhesives, so that was miserable.  You sound like you are doing just fine! Get as much rest as you can. Stick with the protein drinks to keep your protein grams up.  I like the Premier shakes from Sams Club. Were you given discharge instructions and eating plan?  My facilitator provided great follow up and nutritional advice the first few months. 

ARP55
on 6/8/16 6:54 am
VSG on 06/07/16

How did you find support at home?

My GP is clueless and although I am in the medical feild I would prefer to see a gastroenterologist or bariatric surgeon.

i will make some calls today to see about adding me as a patient. 

SilverGirl2015
on 6/8/16 11:02 am

I havent had any issues around my surgery, and my PCP is clueless about it too, but I am under her excellent care for another issue and feel confident that should a need arise involving my stomach, we will find the appropriate help.  I have not found any post op support groups in NM, which would be nice, but I am finding this site very helpful.

mmsmom
on 6/7/16 11:06 am - Woburn, MA

I can't answer the coffee question because for some strange reason I didn't want it at all after surgery - but a few months later the taste for it came back.  I do limit myself to one a day or else I get worse reflux.  I dont think you can drink too much so drink away.  There is a post about the pyloric valve which is very informative and helpful to understand this all.  I also had one incision site that was particularly painful - the dr said is where the instruments went in and out - and they cut through muscle.  I ordered a post-partum belt on amazon and it helped quite a bit.  Good luck.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

Most Active
Recent Topics