Need opinions, please!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/7/16 10:20 am

I agree it was the carbs. I would be sicker than a dog if I ate mac'n' cheese OR ramen.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Tink3125
on 6/7/16 10:54 am
VSG on 12/01/15

I cannot eat almonds. Gives me a bad case of diverticulitis. :(  Makes me nauseous, and stomach pains really bad.  No more almonds for me

Tracy D.
on 6/7/16 12:17 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Even now, at 3 years post-op, I can't do pasta of any kind.  For some reason it expands enormously in my stomach and makes me feel like hammered ****  Of course being a compulsive overeater I had to test this a couple times in the first year post-op -- literally had to make myself throw up to get it out.  

I don't touch noodles or pasta of any sort.  My husband (who is also post-op VSG) can handle small amounts; I can't handle any.  

Hope you get to feeling better soon! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

SassyAmy
on 6/7/16 12:21 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

I haven't met a food I can't eat since surgery, which is both a blessing and a curse. I don't usually get sick after eating anything, which leads to me eating things I probably shouldn't (ie pasta) on occasion.

I'm definitely feeling better than I was this morning--still a bit gassy, but nothing I can't handle. I've been staying away from carbs today and will be having chicken for dinner.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 6/7/16 12:53 pm - CT

Interesting what you said about pasta.  I am a non-op but over the past year or so have a terrible time with pasta and avoid it.  Even if I only eat a small portion it constipates me like crazy.  I guess that's a good thing in reality!  Potatoes too.  And most breads and flour products. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/16 12:54 pm, edited 6/7/16 11:46 am

Given a choice you had - or fasting - not eating - I would not eat anything than eat ramen noodles. 

And yes - I've done that more than a few times. Drank water or green tea... and just smiled.  It is ok to go without food for a day or 2.  

And - it also taught me a lesson to have cans of tuna and green beans in the house. Both - very cheap. And they stay good long time. 

Canned chicken also. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/7/16 3:56 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I know that money is tight for you, but I'm going to offer another alternative.  Have you considered taking a probiotic?  Some of them can be pricey, but they have been a major relief for me.  My gas could peel paint from a wall if I let it go unchecked.  I've found that taking probiotics seems to quell the hell in my intestines so that I can live around people.  Otherwise, I should be living in a cave.

Even though we've have VSGs instead of RNYs, some foods trigger nasty reactions in our systems.  From my understanding, foods with fat tend to aggravate a gall bladder, and it sounds like you were eating more carbs than fats.

I hope your financial situation improves and you are able to eat better things in the future.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

SassyAmy
on 6/10/16 6:42 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I  haven't thought about probiotics--but Id bet they would help. 

I think a major part of the bloating whas not only the carbs, but that I started my period a few days later, so it could've been a perfect storm of carbs + PMS.

I focused on the protein the past few days and I got paid today (hallelujah!), so I'm stocking up on protein shakes so that I don't have ot hop on the ramen noodle wagon again!

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/10/16 7:59 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

They work for me. I changed brands a few times. One type works for awhile and then seems less effective.

Hang in there!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics