Vitamin B1 and D Deficiency 4 minutes ago

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/16 12:29 pm

I was considering getting RNY but with having a vitamin B1 and D deficiency I'm thinking VSG is a better choice.. Has anyone else had this problem? BTW My surgery is 2 weeks away

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/16 5:12 pm

I would discuss the issue with your surgeon and his/her nutritionist. They will be most equipped to guide you since it really needs to be a medically based decision. We are just a bunch of WLS folks.

That said, a year after my VSG I was taken off B1 because I had too much coursing through my body. I chose to taper off and the labs showed that taking B1 twice per week puts me at optimal levels. My D has never been low, but my surgeon had me begin D prior to surgery and then I stopped a week (?) or so before surgery and resumed two weeks after surgery. My pcp likes higher levels of D so I still supplement daily with D3. 

califsleevin
on 6/2/16 8:20 am - CA

As Kairk notes, it's a medical decision that your docs can help you with. That said, I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference on the decision of which surgery to get. D deficiency is fairly common in the general population with the move from dairy to soda as beverage staples and the skin cancer scare/mania of the past couple decades. My doc's practice started screening for D pre-op several years ago simply because they had no idea how much of the low D readings they saw post-op was due to the surgical procedures and how much was pre-existing, which helped guide their initial post-op supplementation recommendations. B1 deficiency is not that common in the general population, but can be seen more often post-op as the most common food sources are grain products which are often eliminated with the low carbohydrate diets that many use. Both are easily supplemented.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/16 10:25 am

My Vitamin D level was at 9 and vitamin B1 is the reason I probably will be only able to get the VSG I know most are vitamin D deficient I was just trying to get in contact with people who had both vitamin B1 and D deficiency.. And Yes I'm on 50mg tabs of B1 daily and 50,000 units of D3 weekly until my surgery on June 14th..

Culinarian
on 6/3/16 7:07 pm

I have a Vitamin D deficiency and am Anemic.  My nutritionist stated that I will continue taking my supplements on top of the Multi-vitamin.  We will monitor my labs for any changes as needed.  My PCP will also monitor it closely. 

Most Active
Recent Topics